GeSeBi Project

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B+.

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
Just a tidbit of information that may interest some of you.

I've been asked to send frozen 10 * 10 cm samples of drone eggs to LIB Hohen Neuendorf, Germany for each of my test colonies (along with other BeeBreed breeders). The project is to use DNA techniques to identify VSH traits from the eggs (when I first heard of this project, they were looking at the larval pelts inside the queen cell). VSH testing is incredibly labour intensive, so, a DNA test would save a lot of time and effort.

Attachments

• GeSeBi-Infoschreiben-Feb2017 .pdf
    308.8 KB · Views: 15
How long have they known which DNA to look for I wonder? Not a simple task or cheap I would imagine, would be nice if this country would pull it's finger out and do more!

How long have they known which DNA to look for I wonder? Not a simple task or cheap I would imagine, would be nice if this country would pull it's finger out and do more!

This isn't my area so I don't know a great deal about the science behind it all. It always seems to come down to money and this is something the Germans have invested in. I'm sure this is something we COULD do. The problem is, if we don't DO it, we'll be left behind.

It would be interesting to send them a few samples from my bees. I know my bees express quite a bit of VSH, but they also express grooming traits to a high level.

It would be interesting to send them a few samples from my bees. I know my bees express quite a bit of VSH, but they also express grooming traits to a high level.

Too small colonies to over winter on 60 latitude.
Too slow to build up for yield season.

But thanks for offer.

How long have they known which DNA to look for I wonder?

They probably don't. The usual methods are to compare genes expressed in VSH lines of bees with non VSH lines and see what the differences are. Then the fun starts as there will be many differences and finding the right genes/combination of genes can take time.

They probably don't. The usual methods are to compare genes expressed in VSH lines of bees with non VSH lines and see what the differences are. Then the fun starts as there will be many differences and finding the right genes/combination of genes can take time.

Currently, it's a manual procedure where I have to uncap purple-eyed pupa and inspect the cell looking for reproducing/non-reproducing varroa mites. The emphasis, at the moment, is on selecting colonies that interrupt the reproduction cycle of reproducing mites (this inhibits the growth in mite populations throughout the summer months).
The ancestry of every queen in the population is stored in the beebreed database. I understand that this project will establish that relationship through DNA techniques rather than relying on the pedigree and breeding licence.

Currently, it's a manual procedure where I have to uncap purple-eyed pupa and inspect the cell looking for reproducing/non-reproducing varroa mites. The emphasis, at the moment, is on selecting colonies that interrupt the reproduction cycle of reproducing mites (this inhibits the growth in mite populations throughout the summer months).
The ancestry of every queen in the population is stored in the beebreed database. I understand that this project will establish that relationship through DNA techniques rather than relying on the pedigree and breeding licence.

Does this add much work to evaluating each colony over the year?
Is it a case of look for 50 or 100 cells with varroa and get the % that have reproduced or does it look at all cells and the % reproductive varroa across infected and non infected cells?

Does this add much work to evaluating each colony over the year?
Is it a case of look for 50 or 100 cells with varroa and get the % that have reproduced or does it look at all cells and the % reproductive varroa across infected and non infected cells?

The former. The number is based on a sample of cells 7 days after sealing (https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3789). The results are tabulated on a form like this (https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/album.php?albumid=751&pictureid=3790).

Thanks
Do you sample at multiple times throughout the year?
Am I right in thinking that it's relatively straight forward to do just time consuming?

I try to do the samples together (i.e on the same day). It would be possible to freeze the samples and examine them whenever you have time, but, I think its best to do them fresh (mites are easier to identify).
You'd need a microscope with decent lighting but it isn't hard to do. If you can identify the gender/age of mites, there's nothing stopping you from doing it. Its just time.

Last edited:
Project continuation

Dear ..............
As you may already know, the project GeSeBi (establishment of genomic selection in the honeybee) will be continued in 2018. Now, breeders are to selectively collect either drone eggs from bee colonies from already completed performance examinations (year of birth of the queen 2016 and older) and a safe mating or the queen herself. Please read the enclosed letter with the enclosed list of breeding and test bee colonies, which have not yet been received, as well as the information letter of the DIB and the leaflet for the corresponding submission.
If you prefer the materials by post, please send us a short reply mail!
Thank you for your participation!
Best Regards,
Anja Strauss
--
Dr. Anja Strauß
Länderinstitut für Bienenkunde Hohen Neuendorf
Friedrich-Engels-Str. 32
D - 16540 Hohen Neuendorf