Foundation - to feed or not?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim.S

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
More than I used to have.
One of my four new splits is growing so fast that it is running out of space, so time for an additional brood box. Trouble is with expanding the number of hives here is that I have run out of drawn frames. Would it be beneficial too feed now, or just leave alone and let them get on with it as nature intended. It is a very strong hive, 8 frames bias although not yet many young bees.
( Thought I should increase my hive numbers as I don't want to be seen as one of the British 'two hivers'! )

One of my four new splits is growing so fast that it is running out of space, so time for an additional brood box. Trouble is with expanding the number of hives here is that I have run out of drawn frames. Would it be beneficial too feed now, or just leave alone and let them get on with it as nature intended. It is a very strong hive, 8 frames bias although not yet many young bees.
( Thought I should increase my hive numbers as I don't want to be seen as one of the British 'two hivers'! )

Speed of growing depends on amount of brood. That is happy thing, not a trouple.
You put foundations to the hive.
It is summer. Don't feed the hive because your honey will be mixture of sugar.

8 boxes is strong hive but not 8 frames.

* you get another box and put foundations there.
* put food frames in lower box and part of foudations upstairs.
* keep brood frames in one pounch. Don't put foundations between brood frames.

Thanks Finman, that makes good sense.

No extra feed, they should have enough to be getting on with it. You can't guarantee that they will 'use 'what you feed nod not store some!

Latest posts

Back