First house martin

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours was here this morning and one swallow last week but only for one day then it disappeared!
E

Have seen two swallows last week.
Husband has made a small platform with a camera where a nest was two years ago so here's hoping.

On the plus side we put up an owl box last year and squirrels lived in it :(
This year there are Tawnies in it :) :) :) ...no camera alas but will put one in for next year.

I miss the Swifts since we moved here from Cumbria and when I was in London suburbs they were abundant.
I don't know why builders can't incorporate swift holes in house gable ends as a norm.

I miss the Swifts since we moved here from Cumbria and when I was in London suburbs they were abundant.
I don't know why builders can't incorporate swift holes in house gable ends as a norm.

I am an ecologist and work with developers. It is hard enough to get them to even consider protected species let alone include space for non protected.
I have included swift boxes at home and going to try and 'call' them in by playing social sounds to them next month
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I am an ecologist and work with developers. It is hard enough to get them to even consider protected species let alone include space for non protected.
I have included swift boxes at home and going to try and 'call' them in by playing social sounds to them next month
S

I have that on my iPod. In Cumbria we rigged it up outside a swift box husband made. Starlings nested in it. As swifts nest later than starlings the idea is to block the entrance till the swifts appear.

I have that on my iPod. In Cumbria we rigged it up outside a swift box husband made. Starlings nested in it. As swifts nest later than starlings the idea is to block the entrance till the swifts appear.

I had house sparrows take up residence in house martins nest ,just like bees they dont read the books !
I would be happy with starlings, lovely colourfull birds that are in serious decline.
Must admit though swifts are my favorite bird and have a fascinating eclogy .
S

Latest posts

Back