Filling supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I make a stand I make sure the frame the hive sits on top of is pressing down on top of the legs. That way there is no pressure on screws or joints, it simply relies in the strength of the legs. The type of legs you have rely totally on those screws hanging on to the frame..... Not perfect!
E

When I make a stand I make sure the frame the hive sits on top of is pressing down on top of the legs. That way there is no pressure on screws or joints, it simply relies in the strength of the legs. The type of legs you have rely totally on those screws hanging on to the frame..... Not perfect!
E

I have made all my other stands that would accommodate a lot of weight but these were my first hives and as they are in the garden wanted them to look nice. Nobody back then told me little insects could bring in so much weight over such a short period.

E

Concrete blocks and two by six bearers take some crushing!

The maker of my fine hives states that these stand can take his 28 stone jumping on them so that's good enough for me. Sorry Paul, not really he is only 18st of solid Yorkshire musel.

E

Enrico, you make an interesting point there.

I have one remaining T's winter sale 4-leg cedar stand to make up. (£6 each, iirc - cheap enough!)
They have 2 'long' side planks and 2 'short' ones (to make the square stand).
Normally, you'd have the short ones 'outside' the legs, making for a smooth perimeter.
However, by putting the short planks 'inside' the legs, the legs are moved further apart so that the stage above can bear directly onto the legs, instead of the short planks.
I'm going to try this with the remaining kit, and see just exactly how strange it looks!

Only the one!
I'm a quick learner Mrs Munroe :)
VM

I'm married to 'im indoors - (Chris58) can't eat a whole one the bones get stuck in my throat! :)

Back