Feeding top bar hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
I have just lost a colony (small) in a top bar hive. They were in and out last week, and had plate of fondant nearby...obviously not near enough.
How do other TBH owners feed their colonies?

I have seen plenty of ways on the Internet but for my hive I have a frame feeder fitted to the underside of a wide top bar and a follower board with a hole in it giving access to a platform with a hole in it so a small contact feeder can be placed and checked without opening the hive. I am currently looking after a tbh for someone who has moved away and they needed feeding last year so all we could do at the time was slip a bag of fondant in at the end of the hive similar to you but they were able to reach it and are flying very strong right now. Unfortunately it sounds like a familiar story small cluster unable to generate enough heat to move to near by food. Sorry and hope for better luck next time.

... Unfortunately it sounds like a familiar story small cluster unable to generate enough heat to move to near by food. Sorry and hope for better luck next time.
That's why one needs to put the fondant directly above the cluster - whatever the size of the cluster or wherever it is in the hive. Difficult with a TBH. I'm now building one but the bars aren't pushed together as in most TBHs except at the ends. I still have to try it out.
Kitta

Hi I hang a block of fondant from one of the top bars with two tie wraps, and just cut a hole in the center of the cling film that I warped the fondant in when I made it, I have had no problem at all for years with this way, and when I feed with Sugar syrup I have a end follower board with a hole cut in the bottom and joined to a horizontal stand with a 1.1/2 inch hole cut in so I can use a 1lb jam jar as a contact feeder. hope this helps

Food for thought, thanks.

Frame feeder for sugar solution - I have 8 home built.

And a fondant bag hung under a topbar..

It's really a pia which is one reason why I am starting move to langs.

Latest posts

Back