Feeding bees propolis ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alldigging

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
NutriBee Propolis CANDY

Never heard of it until just now.

The unique composition of NutriBee Candy includes:
– Sucrose and fructose
– Propolis
– Natural extracts of thyme, rosemary, juniper and meadowsweet.

So does anyone use it (apart from the person who just mentioned it elsewhere?)

From the company's website: http://www.veto-pharma.com/products/nutrition/nutribee/
Studies have shown that NutriBee Propolis candy is more palatable for bees, and also improves mortality rates:

Less mortality during the foraging season

(May to October 2012)

A field trial conducted on 101 colonies in four French apiaries showed a significant improvement in mortality rates in colonies fed with candy NutriBee Propolis versus those in the control group.

http://www.betternutrition.com/bee-propolis-therapeutic-benefits/

Clinical Evidence

In human studies, bee propolis has been found to:

•Speed recovery from dental surgery and reduce pain and inflammation, when used in a mouthwash.

•Improve periodontal disease when used in an irrigation formula by dentists.

•Cure thrush, a yeast infection in the mouth (usually Candida albicans), when applied topically.

•Improve breathing and reduce nighttime attacks in people with mild to moderate asthma, when used in conjunction with an inhaler. (The study used a proprietary propolis water extract, PWE, found in NaturaNectar Throat Guardian spray.)

•Reduce outbreaks of canker sores.

•In an ointment, heal genital herpes more quickly than a placebo or medicated ointment.

•Fight parasite infections.

•Improve fertility among women with endometriosis.

•Relieve vaginitis, when used in a douche.

Splended idea to scrape own propolis off and buy from shop better propolis. More laying, they advertise.

Never seen before about honey bee nutrition that if bees eate propolis, the queen lays more.

Last edited:
Seems to me to be flawed from the start. Might be beneficial for expanding colonies, but that is all and is a big 'MIGHT'.

When are we supposed to feed during the foraging season? Winter feeding is not mentioned (would we want propolis filling the bees' gut?

I thought propolis was collected to waterproof the hive interiors and block up holes and seams, not for feeding bees or larvae. It might have some anti bacterial properties, but my bees can collect their own, if they think they really need it!

Was the term 'gullible' used, re a ludicrously expensive bee feed, on another thread recently? Applies here as well, I reckon. I would certainly need to see independent evidence supportig the claimed advantages, rather than hyped-up advertising of a product seriously inflated in price.

S
I would certainly need to see independent evidence supportig the claimed advantages, .

I need not evindencies. Pure humbug. Bees have in their hives propopolis and they do not eate it.

And bees use very different kind of stuff as propolis. That is interesting.

Like beekeepers dilute propolis into alcohol and use it as drops. My granny used camphor droplets to cure everythind. She lived 93 y.

Last edited:
Yes, Finman, I will likely wait a long time! Snake oil until then! I read these claims, but am not sucked into running out and buying it at seriously inflated prices without checking carefully. That is both the wording and the real facts.

Just like the inflated power capacity of batteries (using Ah, without a rated voltage, instead of Wh), inflated power output claims for generators (quoting kVA as wattage) or even the efficacy claims for apiguard (results only quoted for warmer climates and none provided for the UK!). Just a few examples, to add to the many claims made by beeks on this and other fora and from bandwagoners trying to fleece the unwary or unknowing.

I would certainly need to see independent evidence supportig the claimed advantages, rather than hyped-up advertising of a product seriously inflated in price.

I did wonder if they would eat the sugar but leave the propolis to fall out to the floor.

Well I never - in other words may be better than putting b*gger all on your suppurating tallywacker

Hau Hau!

I have not invented this stupidity. It is 2-hive owners of Great Britain. And these Giants of Intelligentzia!

Hau Hau

Remember medication

Last edited:
... Bees have in their hives propopolis and they do not eate it.

They're certainly gnawing at it as you can see in Michael Palmer's photo. What they do with it once they've collected this second-hand propolis, I don't know.

I've also seen that with my bees. I've washed and cleaned an empty poly hive and while it was lying outside drying, the bees were all over it harvesting propolis. I then added little lumps of propolis, and they cleaned it all off in two ticks.

They're certainly gnawing at it as you can see in Michael Palmer's photo. .

I have kept bees 53 years. I do not need any photo.

When I have put propolis onto roof, sun has melted it as dirty patch.

Whe whole idea is idiotic.

Bees get new propolis from tree buds. They need not to recycle it. That is my opinion.

Whe whole idea is idiotic.

Bees get new propolis from tree buds. They need not to recycle it. That is my opinion.

As idiotic as it may seem, it is what they also do here, they also collect beeswax in the same way, but maybe not in Finland.

As idiotic as it may seem, it is what they also do here, they also collect beeswax in the same way, but maybe not in Finland.

Bee wax, collect from where?

I have seen how they collect old propolis, but what then? Everybody can see it. They do not eate it, but perhaps in Britain that queen lays 20% more. In Finland bees collect pollen that queen can lay.

Last edited: