EWK Mating Nuc (Einwabenkästchen)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apiarist

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
too many for one apiary
Anyone tried this type of single frame, transparent walled mating nuc?

Apparently very popular in Germany where they are called Einwabenkästchen (or EWK for short), they are mentioned in BIBBA's 2004 Summer magazine found here starting on page 21
https://bibba.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/BIM17-Summer-2004.pdf
a good video to show it's workings can be seen here,

Apart from the obvious problem of the EWK Nuc from overheating and chilling (which I understand can be overcome by putting an insulated lid with near full length sides on it), this appears to be an excellent mating nuc option, one would not need to disturb the bees during inspection, nor during feeding, the visual inspection would be very quick, etc. (I believe there are different sizes available that take different sized frames).

Any of you have experience with this, or know people that have used it, any advice would be appreciated as I think I may try some out next year.

Anyone tried this type of single frame, transparent walled mating nuc?

Apparently very popular in Germany where they are called Einwabenkästchen (or EWK for short), they are mentioned in BIBBA's 2004 Summer magazine found here starting on page 21
https://bibba.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/BIM17-Summer-2004.pdf
a good video to show it's workings can be seen here,

Apart from the obvious problem of the EWK Nuc from overheating and chilling (which I understand can be overcome by putting an insulated lid with near full length sides on it), this appears to be an excellent mating nuc option, one would not need to disturb the bees during inspection, nor during feeding, the visual inspection would be very quick, etc. (I believe there are different sizes available that take different sized frames).

Any of you have experience with this, or know people that have used it, any advice would be appreciated as I think I may try some out next year.

I'd understood that they're only really designed for the island mating where the window is essential to ensure no unwanted drones are inadvertently released onto the islands, otherwise the single frame format has far to many disadvantages compared to a mini nuc with three or four frames.

I would have thought that the single frame would have made it much easier, only one to inspect instead of three, also there is the effort of removing three frames propolised in place and the is the risk of injuring the Queen (albiet small ... but Sod's Law...);

what disadvantages do you see OVER the standard (and commonly used here in the UK) three frame Apideas?

what disadvantages do you see OVER the standard (and commonly used here in the UK) three frame Apideas?
Three frames gives the bees a better nest configuration, a buffer from the outside and a little security, taking less bees per comb area to make it viable. I wouldn't have thought there's much lee way with the single frame jobbies if the bees drift, run out of resources or if the conditions don't allow the virgin to mate promptly.

They look the same as the ones described in this 1983 Bibba booklet. Having read the booklet they seem quite high maintenance compared to a standard 3 frame mini mating nucs that are now widely available, for the reason MBC mentions, and I am not sure really what advantage they offer other than being mini, section sized, observation hives. Interestingly I never knew until just now checking the inside cover for a date that bibba used to stand for the British Isles Bee Breeders Association. Not it's current Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association. Every day is a school day!

Attachments

• 20210907_080735.jpg
    20210907_080735.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Interesting book, thanks for the recommendation,
appears to be out of print, strange that it's not provided for sale via the BIBBA website, I see one copy on ebay.

Latest posts

Back