Eggs not developing nor being removed…

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
As per title:

Hive went Q- 22/6

Noted Q+ 28 /7... with frame of eggs

On 6/8 = expanded by 2.5 frames eggs laid with seamstress precisioned ... but no larvae

14/8 = The eggs remain ... no further development and eggs remain untouched.

Question(s): Any ideas as to why a) eggs would not develop and b) If eggs not viable would they not be removed?

Thanks you for any ideas ...

Have you actually seen a Queen ? And why was the hive queen less?
Hi Dani, thanks for prompt reply..
Queen removed to Nuc as swarm prevention measure..
New 'Q' not observed ... simply quick peep in case of new Q... close up on obervation of eggs.
The frames are/were laid in precision... not haphazzard ... Not a single egg developed since first observation 28th July... expanded laying of frames, same issue, no development. seems extreme even if an inbreeding case and would have thought they migt have removed the old eggs...

What ya think?
P

PS : About to go down and re-queen (Apideaover paper) post checking to see if an errant Q waltzing about.

I once had laying workers that laid up exactly like that. Left two frames for a week then looked in. Just the same. Just a thought

As already asked, are there enough bees in there to tend the brood etc?
I would also put in a test frame. Just because I can't find a queen, doesn't mean there isn't one

If there aren't enough bees to cover the frames and there aren't multiple eggs in each cell, then I've always observed, eggs never develop.
Many thaks for helpful replies ... I believe ye have cracked it ... Hive was strong double brood but dwindled over the Q- period ( and Nuc bees withdrawal)... today approx 3-4 frames... and getting older... The eggs still shining brightly... I did think they would cannibalise the non hatching eggs... The thought of seamstress like laying workers is scarey considering the usual 'multiple eggs' per cell expectation but Bees are well, bees!... anyways, I have already reduced to single box and will insert T-F and if negative donate frames of brood and requeen.. So thanks again.

Latest posts

Back