EFB on Defra/NBU maps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
it has been a week since the SBI found EFB on colonies near mine and ordered destruction and then traced it back to other hives that are even closer to me (1km)

yet i still have not received any 3km warning emails and there are no 5km warning notices on the web site of EFB for my home location or apiaries

nor is the location of EFB outbreak shown on the DEFRA/NBU maps or live data reports

in other beekepers experience , how long does it take DEFRA /NBU to update the databases because 7 days seem a long time in disease control to me

I have had a contact that there is some within 3km of my apiary. I have found out it is extremely close to my site. do i contact the SBI or will the contact me to inspect my hives. Also as its so close does this mean that there should be no movement of hives between sites by beekeepers locally?

The cases I had this year took at least a week to appear on Beebase. It must depend a bit on how quick your SBI gets the paperwork done and sent in.

I have had a contact that there is some within 3km of my apiary. I have found out it is extremely close to my site. do i contact the SBI or will the contact me to inspect my hives. Also as its so close does this mean that there should be no movement of hives between sites by beekeepers locally?

it is only the EFB apairy that has the standstill 6 week order, though a locked down of your apairy might be worth while

i collected a late august swarm 200 yds from an apiary that is thought to be the source of EFB nucs sold in June ..i have that swarm in an isolation apairy with about another 15 swarms, I will look very closely at it tomorrow

cheers for the info MM.

Im not looking to move any hives at the moment but wasnt sure.

Just perhaps there should be some restrictions on moving hives/nucs/colonies around with the fear of the spread of diseases?.. much like IF I want or need to move my pigs around.. even for slaughter?

Thereby hangs a can of worms... compulsory registration... as with pigs?

Last edited:
Sadly there are beeks and even some associations that seek to profit by selling on swarms without any regard to quarantine and a proper inspection. A swarm isn't 'clean' until at least a full brood cycle has been completed and even then there may be other issues.

It would appear that some wide boys beginners think they can make a fast buck by collecting swarms from far and wide and selling them on. Such activity is IMHO extremely irresponsible, it threatens traditionally disease free areas and could impact hundreds of beekeepers and upwards of a thousand colonies. All for the sake of a few quid. Making money apparently matters more than being a good beekeeper, and being a good beekeeper doesn't happen overnight, it takes years. Yes years, not just a few weeks feeding a nucleus colony and then declaring yourself supreme swarm collector of the entire known universe.

Disease recognition is also much, much more more than siting through an hours lecture by a bee inspector and looking at a few pictures.

As the situation in Scotland a few years back showed, even beeks with many years experience can't always spot EFB and AFB. A beginner has ZERO chance.

:iagree:

and propagating bees from swarms means the poor newbeek feeds the swarm for the winter so they can swarm again next spring... a lesson learnt.. requeen the swarm ....and do not brag to all and sundry what a fantastic swarm catcher you have become!:angelsad2:

When it has been that close to me I have always got a phonecall and a visit booked within the week.

Swarms are lower EFB risk, but still a risk.

m100,

I endorse your comments. Have seen it quite a bit on the forum recently. Reading regularly soon shows up the culprits.

We know that swarms can pose a health risk and moving them on freely 'just as that' is OK, but selling them on immediately is really a bit rich, IMO.

The recipients of swarms should be either competent at recognising the signs or be at least mentored in some way.

Of course the origins of some swams are known - it is those of unknown origin which are the higher risk.

The recipients of swarms should be either competent at recognising the signs or be at least mentored in some way.

Of course the origins of some swams are known - it is those of unknown origin which are the higher risk.

I TOTALLY agree... I thought I knew the majority of beekeepers in my neck of the woods... then a chance conversation revealed an apiary I was not aware of... looked after by a very bad beekeeper who has hives of Buckspinfasts that swarm on a very regular basis.
Three good sized swarms of bees with nicely marked with this years colour queens deposited themselves conveniently in my orchard... and it's not Bill Turnbull

Now being treated for chalkbrood in an isolation apiary ( never seen in my other colonies!)

Latest posts

Back