Drill driven extractor - are these drills any good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeline

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking to buy a Giordan drill-driven 8-frame extractor (a fully motorised one doesn't meet the budget) and I was wondering if it was worth including the drill for an additional £80? To spin 8 full frames I would assume it would have to be a sizeable voltage but there is no mention of the make or model.

Would appreciate some feedback from anyone who has bought a drill-driven Giordan 8 frame extractor from Agr*-Nova - what they were supplied and if it's gone the distance. Thanks.
BL

Have had one for about 7 years. They were much cheaper then. I discussed having their supplied drill or getting my own, when I went to pick it up - I live near. I think it was Richard, who has since died. He was very helpful and not pushy at all. Suggested I have theirs as they had lots of reports of other drills burning out. I went with theirs. Not had one problem in all those years..
As I say they were much cheaper then. I think the business had not been going long, but I strongly recommend agri nova.

Last edited:
I have the drill driven 8 frame extractor, bought back in 2013. Extracted a few thousand pounds of honey since and no problems with the drill.
The drill is 500watt IIRC.

Thanks for the feedback. I have also looked back through the threads as well and all positive.

I also have a 8 frame Giordan drill driven extractor. But the top bearing failed on the extractor, not catastrophic, but the cage vibrated badly at high speed. The bearing was a metal one, the newer models have nylon bushes fitted, which are the same size as the metal type. Eventually found the cause of the bearing problem....The chuck of the drill was rising up (away) from the body of the drill at higher speeds...this was making the drive belt rise...causing extra pressure on the cage drive cog. I replaced the drill with a non "hammer" type and have had no problems since. The original drill was supplied with the extractor, I use the drill now for many DIY jobs around the garage/workshop.

Latest posts

Back