double brood inspection?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
what is the prefered way to inspect double brood (national deeps),top brood box 1st then bottom or other way round . Just wonderedwhat others do as it's my first year on double brood....

many thanks in advance

We are first year beeks on double brood.
We inspect the bottom box first.Do look for queen cells on the bottom of the top box though.

Tip and peak, if there are any charged cells then I set the top box aside and go through the bottom first, then the top, same if I'm set on finding her madge.

Easiest. our inspector does this.

Smoke entrance, smoke just under crown board on top
lift top brood off WITH crown still in place
Place to one side on upturned flat lid
Inspect bottom
put second brood back on
inspect top

Queen it seems will be in one box or other, if you really need to find her!

I have 50 y experience about douple brood and triple brood.

I inspect only upper brood box. If it have queen cells, I make an AS.

If it has no queen cells, there are in lower box either.

If I must clean all queen cells, then I inspect the lower brood box.

I do not use excluder and that is why hives have often queen cells in supers boxes.
Actually I should inspect every week 5-8 boxes but I do only one.

Finman do you find that swarms sometimes happen because there were queen cells in the lower boxes which were not inspected?

Are your hives in open space where a swarm now and then is acceptable?

Interested to know because I am in town and have to think about people nearby who do not like swarms.

Smoke entrance, smoke just under crown board on top
lift top brood off WITH crown still in place
Place to one side on upturned flat lid
Inspect bottom
put second brood back on
inspect top

If I need to inspect both boxes then I do similar to James, but inspect the boxes while still apart. i.e. inspect one over the floor and the other over the roof. Then a quick puff of smoke under the top box and over the bottom box before putting them back together. This way I'm less likely to crush bees on any brace comb there may be on the bottom of frames in the top box.

Works for me, anyway.

Finman is as practical as ever. Why inspect more if the top box reveals sufficient evidence of no queen cells? Think here of what you want to achieve before inspecting. Absolutely 100% means checking everything, so does it matter whether top or bottom first. The bee inspector is going to check all brood, so he does it that way.

Think of time versus results. One hive - does it really matter? ;100 hives -does it really matter if you miss one? Practicality is a consideration.

I have 50 y experience about douple brood and triple brood.

I inspect only upper brood box. If it have queen cells, I make an AS.

If it has no queen cells, there are in lower box either.

If I must clean all queen cells, then I inspect the lower brood box.

I do not use excluder and that is why hives have often queen cells in supers boxes.
Actually I should inspect every week 5-8 boxes but I do only one.

Almost exactly what i am doing.
I tend to try a tilt aswell for queen cells and only look at about 3-5 frames with brood in usualy until i see growth/expansion and eggs.

If its for herself i look for freshly drawn frames as she seems to love being on them. if she is not on these then its just a long heavy inspection.

so does it matter whether top or bottom first. .

It does! My hives have often 5 boxes or even more when they start to swarm.
I take honey boxes off and start from topmost brood box. I see everything needed from there.

Why I should inspect the lowest box if I see queen cells already in fourth box, which is super.

I do not tear queen cells away because it is vain job. Only which helps is clipped wing and AS.

To find a queen? ---If I see eggs, queen is there. If there is no eggs, clipped queen have tried to swarm and it is dead in the lawn.

Last edited:
To find a queen? ---If I see eggs, queen is there. If there is no eggs, clipped queen have tried to swarm and it is dead in the lawn.

AND if all the grass in your garden disappeared, would you look forlorn?

Devon humour!
James

I rarely inspect the bottom box, however, if for some reason I have to then I always do the bottom first..... The reason, by the time I have finished the bees are still happy, put the top box on and do that. however if I do the top box first and then remove it to do the bottom box the bees have had enough and are beginning to get tetchy. Everything seems so much calmer if bottom first!
But...... Like the others I don't usually bother with both
E

And remember to change the order of those brood boxes that bees consume evenly the combs.
It is part of swarming prevention too.

AND if all the grass in your garden disappeared, would you look forlorn?

Devon humour!
James

makes it easier to see the queen.

Back