Different bees ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEEBEGIN

New Bee
Reaction score
Headbourne Worthy near Winchester,Hampshire.uk
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 plus TOP BAR 1
Hi People
Ok hopefully I will be able to ask the correct type of question on this.
History.
We live and work on some ones estate and part of it is in what w call the walled garden.
So the other day i was on the part of it that i have planted plants against the wall ie climbers etc.(I know I am goig on a bit.
Anyway there I was knelt down doing some digging and I notised these what looked like a small version of a Bee eexcept they had a very dark abdomen and a orange coloured neck same as a huney bee.Then i noticed that they were going in and out of holes in the ground.
I kept doing what I had to do keeping a eye on the (bees?) they did not seem to bother about me as long as I did not get to close,then from know were there sat what I took to be the queen of them,she also went in and out of the ground but then did not come out again.
Does any one know what these are please and are they ok with my bees as they did not seem to get on with each other let alone another type of creature. (I will try to get a pic)
Hope someone knows??
Regards
RNG

Last edited:
Sounds like a tawny mining bee to me. There is another thread on here with a pic, I would attach it but dont how to! Search for tawny mining bee on here and you'll find it.

Probably still a mining bee. There are alot of different species, different colours and sizes.

there are dozens of species of mining bee. No problem with honey bees. Its wasps (later in the year) that you need to watch for.

Sounds like the same ones I have in my garden.....
Look at the pics in the Peek a Boo thread..

Latest posts

Back