Difference between 2 honey’s

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dto001

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
It’s probably a silly question but I’ll ask anyway, I have jarred honey which has crystallised but my neighbor who lives about 100 m away his honey is runny why is this?
It’s probably to do with the flowers but the difference is quite a lot mine is set and yellow and his is runny and gold

Thanks

Happy Christmas

As you say it depends on the flowers. It is actually the amounts of glucose and fructose in the honey. More glucose, more likely to set. Also depends on whether honey was heated at any point, amount of filtration and temperature at which it is stored

And the pollen content, as non sugar content interferes with the crystalline structure.

Main collection by your hives was at a different time to your neighbours. This depends on when your hives are strongest. You may also have extracted at different times. Different nectars can easily produce different honeys even from on e super to another of the same hive.
Beauty of real honey. Always keep a jar every year of honey so you can compare. In ten years time you will have ten different jars in colour and texture!
E

Cheers all
it’s actually quite amazing the difference and you would think they’d be more or less on the same sources

Main collection by your hives was at a different time to your neighbours. This depends on when your hives are strongest. You may also have extracted at different times. Different nectars can easily produce different honeys even from on e super to another of the same hive.
Beauty of real honey. Always keep a jar every year of honey so you can compare. In ten years time you will have ten different jars in colour and texture!
E

You can also have different honey in your super from one frame to the next .
My family are honey monsters I wish I could keep one from every extraction.

Beekeepers who have Flow Hives say that the honey from each frame is different to the frames on either side of it. For those of us with National hives, it would be difficult to separate honey from adjacent frames so we end up with blended honey - i.e. honey mixed from all of the frames in a full super, often from more than one super.

Up until last year, my bees and local forage produced runny honey but last year they produced honey that crystallized readily. I don't know what had changed other than the warm weather last summer but the honey was certainly different!

CVB

Beekeepers who have Flow Hives say that the honey from each frame is different to the frames on either side of it. For those of us with National hives, it would be difficult to separate honey from adjacent frames so we end up with blended honey - i.e. honey mixed from all of the frames in a full super, often from more than one super.

Up until last year, my bees and local forage produced runny honey but last year they produced honey that crystallized readily. I don't know what had changed other than the warm weather last summer but the honey was certainly different!

CVB

Interesting last year after extracting spring honey , I had the smallest amount of osr in one frame , right in the middle . But some frames of honey were a different colour so you could separate them .
I suppose the only way would be to check what pollen grains are there or maybe cut comb?

Back