Collected another Swarm today,,,

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silly Bee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
They were seen coming over the alottments at about 10 o'clock.

They landed in a row of Red Currant bushes, but were spread over about 10 feet, with no central cluster.

Took awhile, collecting several clumps, not sure if I have the queen, although when I put a load in the Nuke, a few started fanning, so I'm hopeful.

Never had a swarm all spread out before, anyone experienced this?

I collected a swarm last year quite spread out.

The queen was clipped and has flying low across the grass. Every time she stopped the bees would cluster where she was. Then when she took off some stayed behind. It took me ages for them all to get gathered up.

just had a thought about the two swarms i collected yesterday (one i lost) - if they had actually been two halves of one swarm would the queenless half have happily walked up into brood box and fanned w/o queen present?
just wondering whether the one with definite queen has headed into the other (bigger) box.

just a thought, seeing as you seem to have had a couple of swarms head over the allotments now, how about a wee bait hive tucked up somewhere's??

even a scabby old national BB would do, you can always transfer into a WBC if / when they are take up home...

:sifone:

just a thought, seeing as you seem to have had a couple of swarms head over the allotments now, how about a wee bait hive tucked up somewhere's??

even a scabby old national BB would do, you can always transfer into a WBC if / when they are take up home...

:sifone:

Already have Alan, This one stopped about 5 feet short.

Latest posts

Back