Changing the queen in the swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
One beekeeper wrote in internet that do not try to change the queen of the swarm. They are so fond of their own queen that bees become confused and mad. Often they return to their original home. I have tried that many times, but not with very good succes.

I made again that mistake yeasterday. And last summer happened 3 times.... Even if I knew.

Once I had several queens in the swarm. There was very active Carniolan queen and I killed it. It was just their beloved virgin and swarm returned home.

And what is the idea.... It is better to keep the swarm on their own. They start to draw foundations at once and they start to forage next day.

Then the swarm may have several queens. If you kill one, there may be other queens which kill your quality queen.

If you upset them by killing their queen, who knows when bees are menthally normal again.

Swarm is not a colony. It is swarm. They are in the wild and badly want to survive. Let them settle down, so they will become a colony.

Swarm is not a colony. It is swarm. They are in the wild and badly want to survive. Let them settle down, so they will become a colony.

In my mind swarm is swarm at least 4 weeks after swarming up to time when new bees start to emerge. Because colony has features and backround of swarm.

Last edited:
Merriam Webster Dictionary says " a swarmed colony of honeybees settled in the hive "

In information system of between human beeings swarm means swarm and colony means colony.

My girls means colony. My girls on branch means swarm.

Where is my girls means that swarm is gone.

Last edited:
In my mind swarm is swarm at least 4 weeks after swarming up to time when new bees start to emerge. Because colony has features and backround of swarm.

That's what i thought - complete brood cycle to switch off swarm mode.

That's what i thought - complete brood cycle to switch off swarm mode.

Jep. After complete broodcycle it is normal colony.

I read often that " it is last summer's swarm". Only what that tells is that it swarms this summer too. Swarming genes are OK!.

Last edited:
Merriam Webster Dictionary says " a swarmed colony of honeybees settled in the hive "

In information system of between human beeings swarm means swarm and colony means colony.

My girls means colony. My girls on branch means swarm.

Where is my girls means that swarm is gone.

That was the funniest thing you have ever said Finny, you made me laugh. Well done.
E

Latest posts

Back