Central heating timer not sure if I have suitable replacement wiring help advice plz

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
We had a new boiler fitted last year using timer potterton ep2002 boiler is vaillant ecotec plus 831 (not sure if it can be used without timer) our cat has destroyed the timer by spaying on it. I have a replacement danfoss tp9000 with programmable room thermostat.

I can change the existing thermostat by the looks of it with the new one but the wiring on the tp9000 has CH and DHW "off" terminals I won't need hw as its a combi but do I have to have the off terminals connected? (Or is this just used for open closing valves in the system) I will get a plumber to fit it but need to know if what I have is suitable I'll put a diag up in a bit. All I have at moment is fused feed fcu , signal to boiler cabling and existing thermostat and cabling

Thanks any help in advance

Attachments

• 20150726145713.jpg
    20150726145713.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
We had a new boiler fitted last year using timer potterton ep2002 boiler is vaillant ecotec plus 831 (not sure if it can be used without timer) our cat has destroyed the timer by spaying on it. I have a replacement danfoss tp9000 with programmable room thermostat.

I can change the existing thermostat by the looks of it with the new one but the wiring on the tp9000 has CH and DHW "off" terminals I won't need hw as its a combi but do I have to have the off terminals connected? (Or is this just used for open closing valves in the system) I will get a plumber to fit it but need to know if what I have is suitable I'll put a diag up in a bit. All I have at moment is fused feed fcu , signal to boiler cabling and existing thermostat and cabling

Thanks any help in advance

Combi boilers generally use a programmable thermostat nowadays so all the time and temperature control functions are performed by the one unit located in a representative position within the living area. If you aren't up to speed with modern boiler control standards you should perhaps leave it to the guy who is going to do the job :)

Combi boilers generally use a programmable thermostat nowadays so all the time and temperature control functions are performed by the one unit located in a representative position within the living area. If you aren't up to speed with modern boiler control standards you should perhaps leave it to the guy who is going to do the job :)

I just wanted to make sure the one I have here is suitable. I'll have to get him to pop around in the week 1st before I can book a date in otherwise

I just wanted to make sure the one I have here is suitable. I'll have to get him to pop around in the week 1st before I can book a date in otherwise

according to google the potterton ep2002 is a basic two channel programmer (time switch to give separate control of hot water and heating with a separate thermostat). the Danfoss Randall tp9000 is a more sophisticated beast which offers separate hot water timing and with a remote temperature sensor has a programmable temperature control function, offering proportional control.
The simple answer is yes it can be used as a replacement but will require wiring a new sensor in. If you know what you are doing no problem, if you don't there could be tears before bedtime.
Was there a reason why you didn't stick with a Potterton EP2 replacement?

according to google the potterton ep2002 is a basic two channel programmer (time switch to give separate control of hot water and heating with a separate thermostat). the Danfoss Randall tp9000 is a more sophisticated beast which offers separate hot water timing and with a remote temperature sensor has a programmable temperature control function, offering proportional control.
The simple answer is yes it can be used as a replacement but will require wiring a new sensor in. If you know what you are doing no problem, if you don't there could be tears before bedtime.
Was there a reason why you didn't stick with a Potterton EP2 replacement?

Only price. The danfoss was a good geal. The existing thermostat wiring is suitable I checked the info it needed 1.5 mm which was already there. I managed to figure it out and do it myself it's a good little programmer just got to learn how to program it now thanks. The sensor is tiny and a bit fiddly to wire but works a treat goes up in .5c increments

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back