Capped Ivy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer24

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Based in Dorset it wasn’t a great summer for honey.
Today is warm and sunny so I hefted my hives which were quite heavy and was expected as the girls have been and still are, bringing loads of pollen from Ivy. Being warm I lifted the CB’s and looked at the outside frames. They are rammed floor to ceiling with capped and uncapped (and as expected crystallised honey) far more than I left for them to over winter from the main summer flow.
I was gearing up to give them some fondant around Dec/Jan. But with what I have seen in the way of stores from the Ivy I’m sure they will go further thru winter now.
My question is that I have never experienced so much stores coming in from Ivy before and understand that its not as good as other main flows during the season. And so as this honey crystallises will the bees live off of these stores quite happily through the winter months?
Obviously I will continue to check and have prepped with a supply of fondant if needed. What is new to me is the amount stores from the Ivy flow and how good it will be, presumably better than fondant tho?

And so as this honey crystallises will the bees live off of these stores quite happily through the winter months?
Absolutely ok. Bees and Ivy have co existed for millennia.
If you feel you need to help make sure the bees have a nearby water supply.
Remember bees are opportunists and will store anything you offer if there’s room. That room is needed for brood in the spring and if it’s stuffed with food you’ll have to take a frame out and replace it with a drawn one.

Bees have no issue dealing with ivy, any left in spring save it for next winter or feed during a dearth.

Absolutely ok. Bees and Ivy have co existed for millennia.
If you feel you need to help make sure the bees have a nearby water supply.
Remember bees are opportunists and will store anything you offer if there’s room. That room is needed for brood in the spring and if it’s stuffed with food you’ll have to take a frame out and replace it with a drawn one.
Many thanks. I have a stream running thru the garden so all good.
Cheers.

Based in Dorset it wasn’t a great summer for honey.
Today is warm and sunny so I hefted my hives which were quite heavy and was expected as the girls have been and still are, bringing loads of pollen from Ivy. Being warm I lifted the CB’s and looked at the outside frames. They are rammed floor to ceiling with capped and uncapped (and as expected crystallised honey) far more than I left for them to over winter from the main summer flow.
I was gearing up to give them some fondant around Dec/Jan. But with what I have seen in the way of stores from the Ivy I’m sure they will go further thru winter now.
My question is that I have never experienced so much stores coming in from Ivy before and understand that its not as good as other main flows during the season. And so as this honey crystallises will the bees live off of these stores quite happily through the winter months?
Obviously I will continue to check and have prepped with a supply of fondant if needed. What is new to me is the amount stores from the Ivy flow and how good it will be, presumably better than fondant tho?
Hi. Brewer24:
I'm in the same situation here in the Scottish Borders too.
Plenty of Ivy gave a good final Nectar Flow / Winter Reserves.
I also like to add some 'Additional' Feed : Of Dry White Sugar added over the Frames or Top Bars. This stops Isolation Starvation if the Colony move away from their 'Feed' Frames. Not usually a problem, but a small Colony demised just mm from their Food ! (Learnt the hard way.) I also add some Straight Fondant in late Feb / early Marcb. Then when Brood Rearing ramps up (we can get long Wet Springs !)
I also add some Feed with a bit of Protein in it. Like Hive Alive (Fondant/Protein Sub.) Or I mix some Pollen Powder Sub into a Tub of Regular Fondant. . .A tad messy but doable (!)
Any White Sugar left (often turned into hard sugar Blocks from any residual Hive rising condensation.)
Can be melted down into Hot Water and used as 1:1 Syrup.
All above subject to how long your Winter is and, if it comes back unexpectedly for a final blast. 🤭
* I can't heft a few of my Hives, so have to go by what I saw in 'Stored Resources', at the end of the Autumn season. So I prefer to add more 'Winter Supplies' than most might add (!)
(*) Try Hefting a Large Horizontal Hive and two Towering Stacked Warre Hives. I'm a Beek, not the Incredible Hulk !!! 🙃

Latest posts

Back