Can you use Plywood for a Hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would a router and a dovetail jig be quicker or is this a class in master carpentry which I am completely lost, If I can't cut it with electric I don't bother lol

would a router and a dovetail jig be quicker or is this a class in master carpentry which I am completely lost, If I can't cut it with electric I don't bother lol

lol a lot of other joiners think like that these days i worked with 1 who couldn't cut and fit skirting without a chop saw

I've made a lot of ply boxes, and they are mostly fine. My first efforts were in shuttering ply, and they have warped. Higher grade WBP has been solid so far.

Lovely dovetails, never needed them on a beehive!

If I was making a large batch of boxes I would do things on the router table I made, but a couple each day it keeps the hand in doing things manually.

The trouble with ply these days is the dam stuff is full of metal and can trance an expensive router bit in a couple of seconds.
The Fein Multitool save lots of time getting rid of the waste and I can resharpen these using a diamond saw file which I do all my handsaws with.

Box comb joints found on most commercial equipment can also be just as tricky to get exactly right and can also be done on the router table, for the few I do now and then I can have things done in the time it takes to set the router table up.

In ply which does'nt like being nailed into the layers the dovetails is the way to go, it stops seperating and warping really well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back