Can you tell me about this pupa's problems?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwinte

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I went to put in BB and tidy up the observation tile below the door when a house bee dropped with a rather malformed pupa. About 16-17 days my guess. Seems half brain missing, or eaten?
Also are the wings normally stubby like that around that period? (last pic clearest on wing)
The link allows view of 5 shots...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kgn99giod...VEwsCagBa?dl=0

Luckily it seems the only one so far, no others found!

Hope it is not the dreaded Danish Pastry virus... little patches of dead brood with a distinctive swirl on the capping.... nurse workers eventually remove the dead pupae.

Perhaps wait for a warm day to take a look at a frame??

Chons da

You could contact APHA National Bee Unit at Sand Hutton... they used to give a diagnostic if you send in a sample.... not sure they still do that with all the gov cut backs etc?

I went to put in BB and tidy up the observation tile below the door when a house bee dropped with a rather malformed pupa. About 16-17 days my guess. Seems half brain missing, or eaten?
Also are the wings normally stubby like that around that period? (last pic clearest on wing)
The link allows view of 5 shots...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kgn99giod...VEwsCagBa?dl=0

Luckily it seems the only one so far, no others found!

If its from the same colony you mentioned previously that struggled into winter, I would suggest the colony either has a varroa problem or the pupae has suffered with the cold snap in last few days and been cleaned out. Positive thing I would take is the colony are keeping themselves tidy.
S

If its from the same colony you mentioned previously that struggled into winter, I would suggest the colony either has a varroa problem or the pupae has suffered with the cold snap in last few days and been cleaned out. Positive thing I would take is the colony are keeping themselves tidy.
S
I took 2 positives: there actually is some brood around in this weak colony AND they are cleaning out...

Last edited:
S

I did have around 500 verroa drop over the 51 days to 18 Jan (10/day), since when 2 small vapes knocked them down to only 5 drop after the last vape (mid Feb). So if this pupa is about 16 days old it was after that vape and then there should not have been many verroa about, maybe it only takes 1 v. with DWV or several v. tucked in with this one egg??
I'll keep checking for more of them...

The empty head parts looked very odd to me, and maybe wings it would be too early for seeing at that point?

Last edited:
I did have around 500 verroa drop over the 51 days to 18 Jan (10/day), since when 2 small vapes knocked them down to only 5 drop after the last vape (mid Feb). So if this pupa is about 16 days old it was after that vape and then there should not have been many verroa about, maybe it only takes 1 v. with DWV or several v. tucked in with this one egg??
I'll keep checking for more of them...

The empty head parts looked very odd to me, and maybe wings it would be too early for seeing at that point?

I wouldn't be too concerned about what looks like a bit of tidying up by your bees. I have had pupae cleaned out after vaping and also a few after a warm spell, followed by a chill, hence my reply.
If it was mine, I would wait until the weather warms and then have a good check but I expect they are doing okay and getting on with being bees.
S

Latest posts

Back