Bucket Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Having tried several types of feeder I get on well with the bucket type with the mesh covered hole in the center. My problem is when i come to refill I am often faced by a mass of bees swarming out of the hole in the crown board. i use a glass perspex square as a cover and try and slip that over the hole to stop the bees from pouring out though this is easier said than done, often trapping bees if I am not slick in the process ( like the other evening in semi darkness .... yes i know not ideal !! ) and I get very angry bees.

Question - has anyone out there got a nifty trick or two up their sleeves to allow the hole to be covered with the minimum of fuss whilst the bucket is refilled and replaced.

It may be that I just have to become a bit slicker in my operation and perhaps light my smoker ??

Get rid of your current feeder and go for a rapid feeder such as below, you can refill with impunity.

66866a40f129753e80fe70e9bc5a1fa9.jpg

Water mister helps..

As a beginner the first feeder I ever purchased was a bucket type. Like you I did not find refilling all that easy. It was messy and slow. Now I will happily admit this was mainly my own lack of competence, but it was rather frustrating. I am still a beginner, but have switched to using rapid style feeders, as recommended by Beefriendly. Quick, easy and minimal disturbance. Given the difficulties you report, I'm a bit puzzled as to how you "get on well with the bucket type".

Last edited:
Having tried several types of feeder I get on well with the bucket type with the mesh covered hole in the center. My problem is when i come to refill I am often faced by a mass of bees swarming out of the hole in the crown board. i use a glass perspex square as a cover and try and slip that over the hole to stop the bees from pouring out though this is easier said than done, often trapping bees if I am not slick in the process ( like the other evening in semi darkness .... yes i know not ideal !! ) and I get very angry bees.

Question - has anyone out there got a nifty trick or two up their sleeves to allow the hole to be covered with the minimum of fuss whilst the bucket is refilled and replaced.

It may be that I just have to become a bit slicker in my operation and perhaps light my smoker ??

You could just keep a piece of plywood on the cover board next to the feeder & when you want to remove the feeder just slide the plywood under the feeder to cover the hole.

I've found toping up feeders in the morning better the bee's are less likely to fly up at you .
Also waiting to the next day after there empty to top up as it's cooler in the morning now they're less likely to be near the crown board hole .
No need to light the smoker - my smoker is only used these days to clear bee's from the top of frames and edges of boxes .
I've found that smoking the bee's for inspections can really pxxx them of, sorry I'm waffling on here..

As soon as you open a hive they will gorge without smoke any way.

I've found toping up feeders in the morning better the bee's are less likely to fly up at you .
Also waiting to the next day after there empty to top up as it's cooler in the morning now they're less likely to be near the crown board hole .
No need to light the smoker - my smoker is only used these days to clear bee's from the top of frames and edges of boxes .
I've found that smoking the bee's for inspections can really pxxx them of, sorry I'm waffling on here..

As soon as you open a hive they will gorge without smoke any way.

I agree with CGF about smoke. We were taught always to smoke a hive before taking the crown board off. Now I find that at most one little whiff is enough and unless I am opening up the brood nest I hardly use any smoke at all.

It may also be because when you've been doing it for a while your confidence grows and the bees sense this...pheromones etc.

The bees do seem a lot calmer. Maybe it's just because this lot have grown to like me:)

I agree with CGF about smoke. We were taught always to smoke a hive before taking the crown board off. Now I find that at most one little whiff is enough and unless I am opening up the brood nest I hardly use any smoke at all.

It may also be because when you've been doing it for a while your confidence grows and the bees sense this...pheromones etc.

The bees do seem a lot calmer. Maybe it's just because this lot have grown to like me:)

Two beekeepers agreeing :winner1st: .
About some part any way !

Latest posts

Back