Brood box getting a bit full.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just inspected- lots of bees, brood on 10 frames (a patch the size of my hand on some, up to 2/3 on others. putting honey away as well- had a last bit of fondant on in a takeaway container, today that had comb and honey in it (now in my kitchen- is that the earliest honey crop this year?) :biggrinjester: They have plenty of stores and pollen- in fact not much space left.

A fair amount of drone brood- may be a cause for concern, but they had a lot last year- they're just nasty drony old combs, but at the moment they're all I've got. Part of the reason I want to get them onto new frames, besides changing to 14 x 12.

You know what's coming next- I'm in a hurry to get the new box on. I know it's probably a bit early yet, but is there a temperature I should be looking for?
Here on the south coast we are pretty favoured. Flowering current is out, dandelion just starting. How will I know when it's safe to go?

An afterthought- some people are talking about supering already. I know this is twice as much space- but what about doing a reverse of nuc box to brood box- board with slot, 14 x 12 with say 5 frames of foundation, dummied down and insulation in the empty spaces?

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation with my older colony; I've ordered a new 14x12 for a shook swarm. I'll be holding fire for some time though, remembering that we've had quite heavy snow in April for two years running now, and even without snow the possibility of a lengthy cold snap is never far away at this time of year. I've been fooled by "early springs" before....

(says she as her bees privately discuss how to swarm as quickly as possible!)

If it were me, I would just put the 14x12 of foundation on the existing brood box rather than trying to configure some dummied-down alternative.

It's all about the timing. Too late and you might have lost a swarm. On the other hand, stick the box on too early and there will be no huge penalty. Note that bees need warmer temperatures to draw wax freely, and a good amount of income.

I would think in terms of sticking the box on in the second half of April; at the same time giving them a feed to get them started. If this can coincide with a warm spell last two weeks of April, all the better. Get to May and there will be more nectar around and a higher chance of swarming.

Note that you could use the existing brood box as a super. We are talking quite a bit of weight, but you might only need one per hive for most years.

Latest posts

Back