beginner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dai

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hi all,i am new to beekeeping and eagerly awaiting arrival of my first nuc,whats the best way to in stall,as the saying goes all the gear and no idea.thanks

Blimey.
I strongly suggest you join your local association and get a good mentor. Someone will be free the day the nuc arrvies and will help you. Ted Hooper's book has a whole chapter on it.
In short what you need to do is (there is more to it than this, so please get a good book and a mentor. I am sure others will be along to give you more appropriate advice too):

Get the nuc where the hive will be, then leave it there with the bees flying for a while (hours or days).
When you are ready, move it to one side, put the hive brood box there with a couple of frames of foundation in it (different people put them either side of where the nuc frames will be, or both on one side. Your choice). Carefully move the frames from the nuc to the brood box (keep them close, so if the queen is clipped and dropped it's not a complete disaster) keep the same order and orientation as in the nuc. At the edge of the frames but a dummy board, leave the rest empty. Later you'll add more.
Put the now empty nuc in front of the hive. You should see bees fanning at the hive entrance if all is well.
Feed, put the hive back together. Leave alone for a week.
A quick google will show you some youtube videos, and there are some blogs where people show it done too.
Trust me - it's less stress with a mentor.

Last edited:
many thanks,allready in a association but not in the click yet, and have books,but still a little nervous,but any tips greatly received,many thanks

Have you done a course?
When I did mine the tutors offered to be there on nuc arrival day (they actually supplied most of them from the branch apiary anyway).
It really is much easier with another experienced human with you. It's that moment when you think "what if..." and you can just ask. Or they spot you've done something (like reverse the frames) they'll catch it and tell you.
My experience of associations is that there is a clique, but also many friendly and helpful people. Someone will be able to help you.
If you have not done a course, you probably should. With a nuc on the way the sooner the better!
Good luck.

hi,no i have not done a course i was told i was too late? ok thanks.

Hi dai, where in Wales are you? I'm a begginer too!

hi ultreen,i am in maesycwmmer,near caerphilly where are you?

Just outside pontypool, which association have you joined? Ive just joined gwent bka

i have jpined the cardiff vale and the valleys,how long have you being keeping bees?

I didnt attend a course when I started. Read as much as you can decide on a swarm control method ( just in case ) and stick to it and have all the equipment needed ready. Put your nuc where you intend to site you hive leave for about half an hour to calm down and open up. Its a steep lerning curve the forum is a great place for advise reading old threads using the search or asking questions.

Yes definitely! We're only 11 miles away! Do u just have the one hive ATM?

Hi I am still reading and trying to pursuade the wife bees are a good idea. Have you got yours in the garden?

Yes they're at the bottom of the garden, all I've done is read books. I'm going to the gbka meeting on Thursday and I'm going to try and get a mentor then! Luckily I didn't need to convince anyone!

yes,i was told the nuc will be arriving at the start of may,i will be keeping my bees in my dads garden as i have a small terrace house garden

Amazing! I collected my overwintered nuc last Sunday, weather permitting I would like to do a first inspection today. You should come to the meeting on Thursday it's in goytre town hall.

Hi what time is that meeting on Thursday

Latest posts

Back