Bees have swarmed into neighbour's chimney

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Bees have swarmed into neighbour's chimney.

Any suggestions?

Buy them chocolates and flowers. Give them honey. Keep them sweet. You may not be able to get them out without hiring scaffolding/ removing bricks and that will cost you a bomb. Tell them to light the fire and burn something that really smokes like damp grass. Put out a bait hive. Pray.

Thanks Poly Hive. I've suggested that. Good to know it was the right advice. They went in yesterday. Hopefully a fire will encourage them to move on...

Funny thing was I thought both my hives had already swarmed. Of course they may not be my bees, but the neighbour is very close to where I keep them.

I'll be gutted if we have to exterminate them.

Deb where about are you in the midlands?

If you cant get them to move I have a set of cat ladders to get up there, if your not far from wolverhampton if thats any help.

Getting up there is one thing getting them out quite another.

Been there..... not fun.

PH

I was called to a swarm in a chimney last year. I got there a few hours after they arrived. Some thick smoke from my smoker got them out of the chimney and onto the side of it.

Fire as soon as poss to get them out of chimney, otherwise wax will catch fire if allowed to build comb

Thanks Jimmbee. I'm in Newcastle-u-Lyme - so not that near you I'm afraid - and the house is an old Victorian one. Very high! The neighbour is being wonderful and we're frantically smoking them. Though they don't seem that bothered.

Seems they're definitely my bees. They saw them rise out of my garden! Think I might be in for a bit of expense here!

Get a good fire going first and build up some heat, then get it smoking with corrugated cardboard or other paper products. Worked for me in a neighbour's chimney last year. Only prob might be that an old chimney might have leaks into a roof space that the bees could exploit to nest in the roof.

worked as roofer so not worryied about Hights and removed a coloine from a church last year If you still have promb just pm me.

Thanks so much jimmybee. I'll let you know.
deb

Latest posts

Back