Bees Drowning With Internal Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a brown plastic frame feeder from Th***es (£10.85 from their agent here) and 50-100 nuc bees dies in 4 days. Now it is in the shed awaiting remedial work...

Just bought a frame feeder but after reading this thread I've popped a rapid feeder on and thinking of popping the frame feeder on fleabay.
This is all new to me and an added complication i can do without!!
:confused:

Just bought a frame feeder but after reading this thread I've popped a rapid feeder on and thinking of popping the frame feeder on fleabay.
This is all new to me and an added complication i can do without!!
:confused:

If it is a plastic frame feeder with smooth surfaces then I would certainly advise you not to use it. My bees are using the rapid feeders no problem. They are plastic, but the centre section where the bees climb up are ridged and rough so the bees can get a good grip.

I'm just starting out (not even had my bees for a week yet!). I was advised to use a frame feeder with my nucs, and did not think anything of buying a plastic feeder instead of a wooden one. When you buy equipment from a reputable supplier you expect it to work!

Figure of eight polystyrene packaging is magic at stopping bees drowning

I bought a brown plastic frame feeder from Th***es (£10.85 from their agent here) and 50-100 nuc bees dies in 4 days. Now it is in the shed awaiting remedial work...
Thanks for info, will bin my unused same item before someone (little and female) gets hurt!
:Angel_anim:

will bin my unused same item

An email to the supplier and request a refund would be more useful. They would quickly realise the error/problem and do something about it.

Regards, RAB

Bubblewrap make a terrific lifeboat in a sea of syrup, can be cut to any size, very cheap and never sinks.

Figure of eight polystyrene packaging is magic at stopping bees drowning

Good idea, but the problem I had was that the bees could not get out of the feeder - more and more bees went into the feeder, causing the wooden float to start to sink, and they could not get out.

will bin my unused same item

An email to the supplier and request a refund would be more useful. They would quickly realise the error/problem and do something about it.

Regards, RAB

Supplier suggested I roughen the inside surfaces of the feeder with sandpaper. I emailed them again and suggested that they should warn purchasers of the potential risk of drowning bees, or modify the design......but have not had a reply.

I'm not impressed.

The rapid feeder works just fine, the frame feeder was wooden but i don't think I'll bother now: the added advantage of the rapid feeder is you can take the roof off and watch them taking the syrup without disturbing the brood - it's quite interesting watching them spiral down the sides of the cone in an orderly anti clockwise line and then climbing back out the other side, quite a little production line (I know I need to get out more and meet people!!)

I have just sent a slightly irate email to said company regarding the frame feeder, so I'll let you know what (if anything) they say.

As promised Tho***es reply:

Dear Sarah

I am sorry to get your message.

This design of feeder has been in use for many years. It is now made in plastic but the wooden float is exactly the same. Other manufacturers also have very similar products.

We have tested out the product and found it worked very well.

We have thought that perhaps the inside of the unit was too smooth which is why we suggested making the surface a little rougher. Of course, bees do climb up glass so they should equally be fine on the inside of the feeder.

Regards

Gill

Hmmm. My bees certainly could not climb out of the feeder. Sounds like they are burying their head in the sand (Tho***es that is, not my bees). I regret that I did not take a photo of the feeder with the dead bees in, but I was so upset I never thought about it at the time.

I still have not had a reply to my email suggesting they should warn purchasers of the risks or modify the design.

As a separate issue I received an order from them yesterday and one of the items was missing from the order. Although I had not been charged for the missing item I sent a polite email enquiring if the item was in stock. Again no reply.

I must admit I feel a bit peeved. I have spent more than I would care to admit to on beekeeping equipment over the past couple off months, all from Tho***es and if my recent experience is typical of how they deal with their loyal customers then I am very disappointed and will certainly be looking to buy my supplies elsewhere in future, although being in Northern Ireland my options are limited as many companies charge ridiculous delivery charges for anywhere outside mainland UK.

Of course, bees do climb up glass so they should equally be fine on the inside of the feeder.
From observations from my obs hive, yes bees do climb up glass, and down, and across.............but not if that glass is super clean..I have also watched them fall off new unwalked on foundation.....
When I first installed my obs hive they had trouble climbing the vertical end section of the poly entrance tube.....so I disconnected it and scored the inside with the end of a round file..............They then had that little bit of grip they needed.......
They also fell of the glass for a couple of days until it got a bit dirty from them walking on it and no doubt leaving some sticky from thier feet/legs...

It must be the same for plastic that has a new shiny surface.......
Use some course sandpaper to "key" the surface the same as if you were painting something...
Have you got any old pieces of curtain lace or something similar that you can glue or pin to the sides?

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's feedback

As I quite like tinkering around with wood, I'm going to make, for want of a better phrase, a set of stairs to go into the frame feeder so the ladies can walk up and down.

Will let you know how I get on

I am going to fluff some feathers....

You bought it.

They are your bees.

The responsibility is whose?

You buy the kit... you look at it and?

Sorry people but get real.

If it fails in service is it their fault or ours?

PH

Believe me PH, my feathers are already well and truly fluffed!

So if a supplier sells a piece of kit that is not fit for purpose, should they not be held responsible?

Failure in service is one thing, failure to work properly at all is quite another.

I do not expect to buy an item and then have to adapt or modify it before I can use it safely!

Anyone agree?

:iagree:

Not really user error feeder is described as 'drop in instead of frame fill with syrup, no need for eke or super' - no mention of little float, water wings for non swimmers, ladders or pebble dashing walls before use!!

Check out the law on Distance Buying..... It also applies to stuff bought on a well nown action site but only if you bought the item on a Buy It Now.

Latest posts

Back