Bees Drinking From Bird Bath

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
I filled the bird bath in our garden with salty water and added a dissolved multivitamin tablet a day ago. I also put two old kitchen sponges into the birdbath to act as a landing area for bees.
The bees have gone mad today taking water all day long. The three of my hives are only 20metres away and the traffic has been non stop all day.
I have added a photo.

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
Not good for birds though why put salt in it, they dont need it.

I'm interested to know why you put salt in.

Salt in water

Often seen bees drinking the urine from the gutter at the stables. Seem to leave the fresh water in preference for the urine!
Also a previous post from a forum member did mention sea water for bees.
A little salt does not affect the birds either. Keeps the water clear longer and after all the birds do crap in it bathe and drink. A teaspoon in a gallon is hardly noticeable.
Anyway it's working and no adverse effects as the three hives are brimming with bees. They have somewhere safe to land and drink. Loads of nectar going in today so looks like a flow has started.

I'm not saying the RSPB is wrong, but i remeber when they told us how to make breakfast left over fat balls, bacon rind scrap treats and Blue Peter told us at the end of every year to put fatty winter treats out to feed the small birds. Not only did we all eat fatty bacon type breakfast back then and thus there was salt, salt, and more salt in the dropping, I also remember there were a lot more smaller birds around than there is today.

How things change over time eh!

The amount of salt Karnal says he has put in a big quataty of water is small enough that i can't see that won't affect the little or bigger birds, plus wildlife is quite smart to just take n what they need aren't they.

That all said, the next time I'm down on Anglesey nipping to see Wally and the team there, and i pop to the beach for a ice cream, I'll make sure I help RSPB and shoo away the birds of all types that I frequently see down there eating sealife and drinking the sea as I'm sure there's a fair bit of salt in those.

As a side line, I habe alsways wondered why i see bees drinking from the wet runs in the floor at the local stables when there are plenty of fresh and cleaner water troughs about. Perhaps due to the fluid being warmer?

Although most dangerous when ingested, salty water is not good for birds externally either. It could damage their feathers, meaning they are not in peak condition during the cold weather and into the breeding season.

The feathers on the seagulls, ducks, and other sea and forshore loving birds seem to always look in good condition.

I'm not saying the RSPB is wrong, but i remeber when they told us how to make breakfast left over fat balls, bacon rind scrap treats and Blue Peter told us at the end of every year to put fatty winter treats out to feed the small birds. Not only did we all eat fatty bacon type breakfast back then and thus there was salt, salt, and more salt in the dropping, I also remember there were a lot more smaller birds around than there is today.

How things change over time eh!

The amount of salt Karnal says he has put in a big quataty of water is small enough that i can't see that won't affect the little or bigger birds, plus wildlife is quite smart to just take n what they need aren't they.

That all said, the next time I'm down on Anglesey nipping to see Wally and the team there, and i pop to the beach for a ice cream, I'll make sure I help RSPB and shoo away the birds of all types that I frequently see down there eating sealife and drinking the sea as I'm sure there's a fair bit of salt in those.

As a side line, I habe alsways wondered why i see bees drinking from the wet runs in the floor at the local stables when there are plenty of fresh and cleaner water troughs about. Perhaps due to the fluid being warmer?

Seabirds are different to garden birds, they hsve the ability to cope with salt. If you had oystercatchers & curlew on your feeders & using your bird bath i could see your point. You dont need to put salt in bees water so why risk it for the birds? You copied that idea off another thread, why not copy this one? I have 5 home made sources of water for my bees using gravel. & moss, all covered in bees & NO salt.

The feathers on the seagulls, ducks, and other sea and forshore loving birds seem to always look in good condition.

Perhaps you should read the link properly? "

Salt is toxic to gardens birds. Their bodies are unable to process it, and it affects their nervous systems. Birds become very thirsty and dehydrated"

We are talking garden birds not sea birds. You wouldnt put lugworm on your feeders to entice sea birds would you? Or maybe you might.

You're making a lot of fuss about one small bird bath that's been filled with slightly saline water for bees, which are then choosing to drink from it. The birds can also choose to use it, or not, same as they can choose to drink neat urine and other run off from the nearby stables, or not.

Sea birds have evolved with a digestive system that combines their kidneys, GI tract, and special salt glands to regulate the amount of salt in their body. Their system is designed to maintain a total body fluid homeostasis, which allows them to live off the high sea salt diet native to their environment. Unfortunately, this is not the case with most garden birds. Their system is dependant on their kidneys to remove any excess salt in their system. Too much salt will also increase the urination, resulting in hydration problems.

You're making a lot of fuss about one small bird bath that's been filled with slightly saline water for bees, which are then choosing to drink from it. The birds can also choose to use it, or not, same as they can choose to drink neat urine and other run off from the nearby stables, or not.

When they drink water or food with salt in they get thirsty like we do & so drink more causing them harm. Why even debate it ? Theres no need to put salt in it so why do it. They would probsbly dring water with dog **** in it, would you add that too?

Aye salt might be toxic to birds but we are not talking of a salt lick. So all the people who put out salty bacon rind or smear salty bacon fat on bread for the birds are actually killing them with kindness.
Never found a dead bird on the garden dehydrated dead with its tongue hanging out.
Get real. A teaspoonful in a gallon of water isn't going to affect them diddly squatt.

Aye salt might be toxic to birds but we are not talking of a salt lick. So all the people who put out salty bacon rind or smear salty bacon fat on bread for the birds are actually killing them with kindness.
Never found a dead bird on the garden dehydrated dead with its tongue hanging out.
Get real. A teaspoonful in a gallon of water isn't going to affect them diddly squatt.

So what good is it going to do your bees? Tell me why are you adding it?

Birds of all types I said - implying birds other than seabirds visit the seaside.

You did know that garden birds live here at the seaside all year round didn't you Jonnybeegood?

These garden birds also visit the sea to eat crabs and things washed up on the beach becuase Believe it or not I've seen it with my own eyes jonnybeegood, and that's nearly everyday that I have lived within 1 mile of the sea here near Caernarfon, and moreso over the last 16 years as i have driven down the road next to the sea.

I also had a close experience with the garden bird called swallow's down within 50 ft of the sea - there were hundreds of them and they once nearly stopping my engine - when I nearly had a mass swallow birds strike on climb out from Caernarfon airport on runway 26 which goes out over the sea on leaving the airport. (it's 25 now due to the magnetic fields moving) Swallows at 350 ft swarming around the airfield before winter was a close call I can tell you.

Thinking that only Seabirds lived near the sea - you kill me Jonnybeegood. :icon_204-2:

Birds of all types I said - implying birds other than seabirds visit the seaside.

You did know that garden birds live here at the seaside all year round didn't you Jonnybeegood?

These garden birds also visit the sea to eat crabs and things washed up on the beach becuase Believe it or not I've seen it with my own eyes jonnybeegood, and that's nearly everyday that I have lived within 1 mile of the sea here near Caernarfon, and moreso over the last 16 years as i have driven down the road next to the sea.

I also had a close experience with the garden bird called swallow's down within 50 ft of the sea - there were hundreds of them and they once nearly stopping my engine - when I nearly had a mass swallow birds strike on climb out from Caernarfon airport on runway 26 which goes out over the sea on leaving the airport. (it's 25 now due to the magnetic fields moving) Swallows at 350 ft swarming around the airfield before winter was a close call I can tell you.

Thinking that only Seabirds lived near the sea - you kill me Jonnybeegood. :icon_204-2:

Er, swallows arent garden birds? There are small shore birds, they arent garden birds either?? What type of birds are you talking about?

Very similar here, right next to the sea and seen the same thousands of times, also plenty of seagulls visit the bird table, so they are also garden birds.

Very similar here, right next to the sea and seen the same thousands of times, also plenty of seagulls visit the bird table, so they are also garden birds.

:icon_204-2: yeah thats right, seagulls are garden birds, i once had a swan in the garden i guess that makes them garden birds now too, i better get the Rspb to rewrite the books :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back