Bees and dirty water

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I keep a bowl of rain water with rocks in it near my hives as 'bee water' source. Just seen some drinking from the not very clean drain water nearby.

Ugh - probably not a good idea to dwell on linking thoughts about this habit to honey... :(

I don't bother leaving 'drinking water' out for the bees - they'll find their own water within foraging distance so I just let them get on and choose what they prefer.

Better to offer them a warm supply, not too close to the hive(s), or they may cause a nuisance to neighbours if you have hives in your garden.

I'm with jbm, better to leave them to their own devices as they will always drink from a cruddy pool in preference to provided drinking troughs.
I see my girls drinking off the muddy drive after rain and "sucking" moss instead of clear pools beside them, must be one of their 5 a day.

Some of my bees seem to enjoy drinking from watering cans I have about the garden rather than, say, from the stream that runs less than 5 yards from the hives or the water butt I have. However, most of them do run around on the exposed sand and stones at the stream and as that comes off agricultural land where cattle are it can be mucky but it doesn't put them off. In passing, adding tap water to top up the watering cans seems to put them off that source for a while. I suspect chlorine as I think I can smell it sometimes. They will usually find a water source somewhere within foraging range anyway so not necessarily essential to provide somewhere else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Think Ill remove the water basin as they clearly have their own preferences.

We have cows in the field near the hives, (not near neighbours, Oliver) - where I've also seen them on cow pat water. Oh dear !

The secret is to put a shallow basin with loads of moss in it about 20 yds to the side of the hive, preferably stood in the sun. Top it up once a day. They will go for warm water if they can find it. If you can cover any drain covers etc it helps, unfortunately cow pats are not going to be easy but they probably add taste!

Better to offer them a warm supply, not too close to the hive(s), or they may cause a nuisance to neighbours if you have hives in your garden.

The only bees collecting water at the moment are collecting it from the Greenhouse floor and ignoring their usual watering place the garden pond!
so another vote for warm water...

Hot tub users beware!!!

I was particularly referring to nuisance - like paddling pools or jacuzzis. OK, not too many about, but they can be deemed as a nuisance by some for no other reason than being there!

Two thousand girls in a hot tub and not a bikini among them...and that's the sting in the tale.

Bees will find water for themselves, I don't know how they do it but it could be smell, sight, reflection, dowsing sticks ?

Various ponds in my garden and the bees seldom used them, they preferred mossy areas.

Yep, our garden pool has a mossy area. Another area of moss they use is up on the south facing roof. A bit disconcerting when I was working on the Solar panels to have ones work continually "inspected"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back