Bee type and bee sting strength? is there difference

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightynight

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Noticed I don't react to bee stings as much...my stock as morphed into typical mongrel buckfast's now, but I had a couple of carnie colonies when I started and I got whacked a few times and they flaming hurt like hell.

Now either I am becoming more tolerant of the sting or I wondered if different bee strains have different potency in their sting?

Last edited:
Think you are just becoming more tolerant to the stings

Noticed I don't react to bee stings as much...my stock as morphed into typical mongrel buckfast's now, but I had a couple of carnie colonies when I started and I got whacked a few times and they flaming hurt like hell.

Now either I am becoming more tolerant of the sting or I wondered if different bee strains have different potency in their sting?

Other people's bees always sting one more painfully, it's the added effect of outrage that does it. One's own bees are immediately forgiven and the effect minimised. Well, that's how it is for me, anyway! ;):rolleyes:

It has a lot to do with how good a grip the bee gets on you before it plunges it's stinger in. If it can't get a good grip or it hits tough skin it doesn't get the venom in very deep and you feel it less and have less of a reaction, If it gets int down into the micro-vascular level you will really feel it. Also has to do with how soon the stinger is scrapped out. The longer it stays in the larger a dose of venom you get.

I have heard it also has to do with how young a bee is the younger the less potent the sting

Latest posts

Back