Are your bees making honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a buggar. Did it happen in these strong winds?

Strong winds sloping site and shoddy workmanship:rolleyes: My home made stand collapsed down the slight slope, no doubt aided by a strong tail wind. Lesson learned though;)

We went through the colonies and removed most remaining honey. It appears that of the 6 hives 4 are requeening at the moment. 1 due to a split, 1 intentional, and 2 after swarming.
This has had the impact that the colonies are full of honey in the BB and have been stashing as much as possible away for a rainy day (so plenty to choose of these then).

However, Of the frames we spun out last some of them already had started to granulate. We then had a challenge as the extractor filled up with probably 50lbs of honey and when we tried to filter it off the sieves clogged up. We have had to leave things for 3 days (circumstances) and now the content of the extractor is solid.

Hmmm. What to do. I can only think of getting the old chicken heat lamp out and hanging it overnight half way down the drum with a low wattage bulb.
Anyone dealt with a situation like this before? I do have a warming cabinet but the extractor drum is too big to fit in it. What will happen to the wax cappings on the surface of the honey?

All the best,
Sam

220 lb off 6 hives. A mixture of OSR and Hawthorne. Considering that a month ago we had fondant on, with no supers, this is pretty impressive work by the bees. Inspections in May were mostly "supering" exercises.

No honey here so far, but I only have 1 colony which has caused me a few issues with their determination to swarm over the past few weeks. Don't really mind though: I would happily trade no honey this summer for a non problematic hive as I'm heavily pregnant and would like a quiet month!

A few weeks ago in the brief summer, my obs hive managed to cap about a quarter of two frames............

In the last few days they've extracted it and sold it.

Latest posts

Back