Apiguard - Larvae been expelled from hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
Swarm caught mid July and developing nicely. Working over 7-8 BB frames, stores OK, BIAS in BB.

Put on Apiguard above BB in an eke on Monday evening and see larvae and possibly other brood at entrance this morning. Was rushing as I had to go to work and it was just starting to rain. Took a quick snap, shown below. Will have a better look this evening. I have 3 other hives here that appear normal after the Apiguard.

Should I remove the Apiguard and treat with another product, if so, which one?

Thanks

2mvr.jpg

Suggest you check to see if the expelled larvae are merely of drones that are will not be required at this end of the season. Otherwise not a clue.

Sometimes this seems to happen.
It has happened to me twice. Colonies were fine in the long term. I pressed on with the treatment.
Cazza

Sometimes this seems to happen.
It has happened to me twice. Colonies were fine in the long term. I pressed on with the treatment.
Cazza

Ditto- except a couple I had were left with no sealed brood, so I whipped the thymol off and treated with OA- never waste an opportunity of a broodless hive. They pulled back fine, and the varroa numbers have taken a long time to build back.

You have a very wide entrance if treating, I close mine right down
E

Hi,
Swarm caught mid July and developing nicely. Working over 7-8 BB frames, stores OK, BIAS in BB.

Put on Apiguard above BB in an eke on Monday evening and see larvae and possibly other brood at entrance this morning. Was rushing as I had to go to work and it was just starting to rain. Took a quick snap, shown below. Will have a better look this evening. I have 3 other hives here that appear normal after the Apiguard.

Should I remove the Apiguard and treat with another product, if so, which one?

Thanks

2mvr.jpg

Hi , I have looked up about the bees doing this with apiguard on. Apiguard - Use of Apiguard frequently asked questions, No 14Q indicated that if broad removal is seen, remove the product from the colony. Hope this helps

I used to get this a lot so I now use a half dose one week apart for three weeks.

Latest posts

Back