Apiary Signage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi

Just about to set up an out Apiary in a Convents grounds near to a school, beside my house.

Looking for a " Warning Honeybees " sign, who else uses signage here ? any particular good ones, where to get ? maybe best to get image and send to local printers I assume ?

Thanks

Brian.

Like the sign on the gate 'Beware of the dog'.

An admission of guilt before the fact. But do as you choose....

I suppose you've never seen what children do when you warn them about something?

Yes.. Good points.. but I also know what they do when you dont warn them, ( or what I did !! ).

Had not considered it though from that angle, but still think warning is probably better than not, and waiting for some kids to meander over to the hives ??

near to a school
Perhaps a little bit better in that it is a girls school, I know boys generally would be that bit more mischevious ( Gawd.... I remember my neighbour having a hive and myself and his son as kids ramming grass into the opening and running !!! )

Anyway back on track.. Any experiences in relation to this scenario this anyone ?

Last edited:
Try google images and search for - honey bee signs - lots of ideas to choose from.

I put up a few facts about honeybees. Like they fly faster then Usain Bolt runs and the only natural predator they have is a bear which they sting on the nose and eyes to get rid of. That stopped many a nosey allotment keeper!

As always , everybody is so helpfull.

Really appreciate your replies. Thank You.

Excellent ideas. !

As an aside anyone here keep bees in cose proximity to a school ? in this case a girls school, so assuming they should not be a mischevious as the little terrors that boys can be.

i use these free PDF

mysafetysign.com/caution-honeybees-hard-at-work-do-not-disturb-sign/sku-k-9682

As always , everybody is so helpfull.

Really appreciate your replies. Thank You.
Excellent ideas. !

As an aside anyone here keep bees in close proximity to a school ? in this case a girls school, so assuming they should not be a mischevious as the little terrors that boys can be.

100 meters away is a Middle school with 1200 pupils 8 to 13 years. They are fenced off from us,cannot see my hives and I don't advertise them.

The only swarm I have lost flew Over the 4 storey school and got lost in the woods..When I asked the school for permission to search they had no idea I kept bees.

No complaints in 4 years so far...

I think you're underestimating girls' capacity for mischief.

A simple bees at work is quite enough, danger or warning signs is admitting such.
We are living in an age of blame culture and you could end up being sued for sign not big enough, not illuminated, not bi lingual, not made from reflective material, and a lot more.
Also signs tell thieves where you are, better off concealing your apiary from prying eyes

A simple bees at work is quite enough...

[and] ....
Also signs tell thieves where you are, better off concealing your apiary from prying eyes

:iagree:

I don't disagree with the bits I've snipped out, but I think these two things are the most important.

If you label your apiary people will know it's there, and somebody is sure to do something you don't want them to do. It might be that they'll damage the hives, it might be that they'll try to steal them.

Unless the apiary site is secure, very secure, you're probably best locating the hives discretely in amongst some shrubs or bushes so they can't be easily seen, and not putting any signs at all.

... in this case a girls school, so assuming they should not be a mischevious as the little terrors that boys can be.
You jest? Have a word with anyone involved with mixed schools. The girls toilets will be the ones that get most damage, broken seats, locks, tissue dispensers broken and floods from tissues stuffed in various drainage.

Latest posts

Back