Anyone know a local source of fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A half-share in 6...ish
Can anyone recommend a source of fondant reasonably close to me (Oxon/Warks border), without trekking over to Gloucester?

I have tried a couple of bakeries and spoken directly to Bako, but no joy so far

I'm travelling to N Leics (Coalville) next weekend, so anywhere in that direction would also work

Many thanks
David

I buy direct from Bako would they not sell to you?

PH

Bako wanted £100 up front for membership... which puts them out of the picture for most
Tesco (unfortunately) seem to have the best price for small quantities..... possibly best read label first as the do sell some without unwanted additives!

I contacted Bako and spoke to their rep.
They will supply me but as a co-operative you have to buy at £100 of shares and their minimum order is £100 which equates to a lot of fondant. I could probably use half that amount each year if I stopped using syrup. I just need to decide on the pros and cons of not using syrup and more importantly where I am going to safely store the remaining fondant.
S

I buy direct from Bako would they not sell to you?

PH
No. A very nice lady called and told me I can only buy if I'm a member of their Co-Op and need a min £100 order to cross that threshold

Also that "we get a lot of enquiries like this from beekeepers". "What others might call 'a marketing opportunity'", I thought, but did not say :rolleyes:

ur local supermarked with an instore backery

I get mine posted from Halls in Kendal they sell it in 12.5 kg packs,
not really a local source :driving:

Very strange. I spoke to Bako South East about purchasing 12.5kgs only and it was not a problem. I wasn't keen to pay for delivery costs so between myself and the Bako lady we found a bakery near to where I live and I piggybacked on their weekly order - with the bakery's permission of course but he wasn't fazed as it was pre-paid and I said it was for my bees.

Landed price was £15.85 all in for 12.5kg. Not as good as some have reported here but alot cheaper than what another local baker was going to charge me.

Suggest you ring them back and tell them what has been done through other branches.

Following the post from Beeline #11 regarding Bako South East, I Emailed Bako Northern based in Durham just down the road from me, I got a reply almost immediately, no problem if I can pick it up from their depot as their do not deliver to private addresses

Thanks Beeline :)

I think our local BKA uses Bookers, would there be one in the area that you can use? Macro might also be an option, but I think you'd need to register.

I get mine posted from Halls in Kendal they sell it in 12.5 kg packs,
not really a local source :driving:

Me too. Excellent service and nice people to deal with. BUT watch the carriage: was much cheaper to have two lots of two delivered (on the same day by the same carrier) than one lot of four. Still, haven't found any local bakeries/cake makers prepared to help (ggrrrr ;))

hi have you tried your local cake decorations and cake moulds suppliers because they all sell fondant for decorating cakes and they are all on the high street so easy to get to

Thanks all for the tips. Having another go at the local Bako rep (sorry, sales manager), with some anonymised extracts from this thread

Will let you know how I get on

Current Bako price has just gone up to £9.30 per 12.5kg box,and free delivery. Minus 2% if paying straight away,and bigger discounts on a tonne or more.

Back