And then there were 3!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A few weeks ago i had 1 colony now i have 3!
After doing an AS with a horsley board on the 27th, with number 1 colony, they decided to swarm the day after (Thanks girls :toetap05:)
however i managed to retrieve the swarm from a nice neighbour and they have been re hived today.:hurray:, there are still a few stagglers on site so have left a nuc box with 4 frames of foundation and a super frame of honey to tempt them into the box, will go and check on this later this evening.
The hive that swarmed still has quite a few flying and nurse bee's and a good lot of brood and has now been left with one very nice looking unsealed cell.
the bee's from somerset are still expanding and hopefully i can get some more kit together before they swarm!
Also checking out an out apiary tomorrow, its near a couple of OSR fields, not sure if that is a good thing or not yet!
good fun this beekeeping! :D

the super frame of honey will cause mayhem and battles if other bees find it

you really must not leave open honey in a unoccupied hive as it will be robbed out and with three hives they will all fight over it

if a ferral colony finds it, then you may get robbing of your hive near the site from the later in the year

Last edited:
the super frame of honey will cause mayhem and battles if other bees find it

you really must not leave open honey in a unoccupied hive as it will be robbed out and with three hives they will all fight over it

if a ferral colony find it, then you may get robbing of your hive near the site from the later in the year

Thanks for that MM, it was just to tempt the stragglers into the nuc (as the queen was already back home) the nuc is now next to the swarm and all will be re united tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back