Advantages of protein patty feeding

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Comparisons of pollen substitute diets for
honey bees: consumption rates by colonies
and effects on brood and adult populations.

Gloria DeG rand iHoffmanh*, Gordon Wardell', Fabiana Ahumada-Segura', Thomas Rinderer3, Robert Danka3
and Jeff Pettis4 2008

ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/.../1/IND44152210.pdf

Those are interesting results. Patty feeding giuves bigger worker amount than pollen cake feeding. Nutrition content must be stoger in patty stuff.

Discussion
Pollen substitute diets can be effective in stimulating honey beecolonies to rear brood (Mattila and Otis, 2006; Nabors, 2000;Standifer et al., 1973), but they must be both palatable to beesand nutritious. All diets tested here with the exception of Diet- I,were similar to pollen cake in their consumption by bees.However, not all diets were equally effective in stimulating broodrearing or population growth of adult bees. Diet-2, Diet-3 andpollen were consumed at equivalent rates in both Trials. In Trial I,however, significantly more brood was reared and there werelarger adult populations in colonies fed Diet-3 patties comparedwith those fed the other diets. These results suggest thatdifferences in the nutritional quality of the diets (i.e., amounts ofprotein and carbohydrate) and perhaps the digestibility andaccessibility of their nutrients to worker bees influence theamount of brood that can be reared even when consumptionrates are similar.
In addition to nutritional

Look table 1

Adult population

diet 1.............16
diet 2............20
diet 3.............12
pollen cake....15

Last edited:

There are much articles, but I think that is is one of the best to enlighten bee nutrition .

Google:

Honey bee nutrition and supplementary feeding DAI/178, July 2000 Doug Somerville Apiary Officer Goulburn

PDF]

Last edited:
when its mixed up finman what consistancy should it be? and about how much syrup do you add to the mix so its right.

Comparisons of pollen substitute diets for
honey bees: consumption rates by colonies
and effects on brood and adult populations.

Gloria DeG rand iHoffmanh*, Gordon Wardell', Fabiana Ahumada-Segura', Thomas Rinderer3, Robert Danka3
and Jeff Pettis4 2008

ddr.nal.usda.gov/bitstream/.../1/IND44152210.pdf

Those are interesting results. Patty feeding giuves bigger worker amount than pollen cake feeding. Nutrition content must be stoger in patty stuff.

Discussion
Pollen substitute diets can be effective in stimulating honey beecolonies to rear brood (Mattila and Otis, 2006; Nabors, 2000;Standifer et al., 1973), but they must be both palatable to beesand nutritious. All diets tested here with the exception of Diet- I,were similar to pollen cake in their consumption by bees.However, not all diets were equally effective in stimulating broodrearing or population growth of adult bees. Diet-2, Diet-3 andpollen were consumed at equivalent rates in both Trials. In Trial I,however, significantly more brood was reared and there werelarger adult populations in colonies fed Diet-3 patties comparedwith those fed the other diets. These results suggest thatdifferences in the nutritional quality of the diets (i.e., amounts ofprotein and carbohydrate) and perhaps the digestibility andaccessibility of their nutrients to worker bees influence theamount of brood that can be reared even when consumptionrates are similar.
In addition to nutritional

Look table 1

Adult population

diet 1.............16
diet 2............20
diet 3.............12
pollen cake....15

The pollen used appears to have been naturally low in protein ...
The pollen that was collected also could have had limited amounts of key nutrients to rear brood because of the floral sources. The pollen was collected in the Sonoran desert ofArizona (USA) where plant species are known to have relatively low protein levels (Schmidt et al., 1987)

That is interesting. Prominent advertising.

www.feedbee.eu/.../feedbee_scientific_test_results.p...

I got 20 kg beebee but I gove up because hives ate only 50% out of amount my own recipe.

A paper comparing non soy based pollen substitute (Feedbee), soy based substitutes and natural pollen found feedbee and natural pollen to be broadly equal and the soy based substitutes to be less effective. http://www.jas.org.pl/jas_54_2_2010_6.pdf

A paper comparing non soy based pollen substitute (Feedbee), soy based substitutes and natural pollen found feedbee and natural pollen to be broadly equal and the soy based substitutes to be less effective. http://www.jas.org.pl/jas_54_2_2010_6.pdf

In my patty soy and yeast is the basic of protein. If you do not use soya corectly, patty hardens and bees do not eate it. My pollen was 7 years old last year.

My hives did not like feebee. You may try yourself. That I mean.

how u mean use soy properly

how u mean use soy properly

To the softness of result affect
- water
- fructose ( it takes moisture from air)
- time, how long patty is in hive
- amount of soy / yeast. too much soy makes patty hard.

It was a huge job when I tried many kind of mixtures and finally I found a "proper" mixture.

My first patties moulded because bees did not like them and they become dry and got mould.

Last year, for example they ate all what I gove. But 8 years training.

Soya is the best of pollen substitutes but you cannot be greedy in it.

In my patty soy and yeast is the basic of protein. If you do not use soya corectly, patty hardens and bees do not eate it. My pollen was 7 years old last year.

My hives did not like feebee. You may try yourself. That I mean.

I haven't fed pollen or substitutes up to now but as I have pollen stored in the freezer since last year I'm adding some to fondant to try out on a few hives.

Latest posts

Back