A pleasant afternoons beekeeping.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would you rather? A nuc with live bees and brood etc or a package full of dead bees? You forget they cannot sit around for long they will be slowly dying off so they have to be shook into a hive as quickly as possible. You make your own decision.

Thanks for this but just a simple email or phone call would of been polite, also dates and time were all confirmed so how would I know how long they had been sitting around for, I appreciate you taking the time to add your comments thats what I like about the forum "open place to air one's thoughts"
Grub

Last edited:
I am well aware everyone re package orders are emailed to arrange collection all of which were done over a 3 1/2 day period (last weekend), this is the maximum time you would allow them to sit for (which IMO is too long anyway).

I am well aware everyone re package orders are emailed to arrange collection all of which were done over a 3 1/2 day period (last weekend), this is the maximum time you would allow them to sit for (which IMO is too long anyway).
Bates
Thanks for this
But as the paying customer keep me informed thats all I ask.
He wasnt even expecting me, even though I have the emails stating this imagine how you would feel turn up for a train "no that was last week"..
Any way no harm done. Stuck in traffic didnt help my mood nor the rain
Speak soon

Grub

I'm sure I am being excessively cynical, but all of your posts seem to spring to the defence of this supplier of packages.

Just an observation.

Yes I had another "pleaseant afternoon" put nuc into new poly hive, went realy well , bit of pre-sweat nerves first time I have handled bees in 5 years but not even 1 sting conversion kit a bit fidely with gloves on but followed instruction and took my time , I didnt use smoke but sugar water from a very fine hand sprayer worked a treat, saw the light copper coloured queen and she has been laying so put on gallon of feed 1to1 so will leave alone apart from checking feeder .
All happy again

Grub

I had a pleasant evening mowing around the apiary bee-smillie.
2 colonies are queen less awaiting mating of new queens , I expected then to be a little stroppy but no, they piled out on to the landing boards to see what was going on . as I moved close up to the hives they retreated inside as normal for my bees :nature-smiley-016:

John Wilkinson

I'm sure I am being excessively cynical, but all of your posts seem to spring to the defence of this supplier of packages.

Just an observation.

You are not being cynical,your observations are correct.
There is a connection..

On another note I took the first sting of the year today,right under my right eye as well !!
I would not mind but they were not even my own bees,I was visiting another apiary.

I had a pleasant evening mowing around the apiary bee-smillie.
2 colonies are queen less awaiting mating of new queens , I expected then to be a little stroppy but no, they piled out on to the landing boards to see what was going on . as I moved close up to the hives they retreated inside as normal for my bees :nature-smiley-016:

John Wilkinson

Have three colonies awaiting hatching/mating all adjacent, all happy bit like yours John. Took the sickle and loppers to tidying up thistle/nettle/blackberries/willow growing too close to the hives yesterday and only a few inspections from one or two guard bees. Did keep the suit on though.

Ouch, admin :(.

I like the DeadDiplomat's comment: "we have a few jars of our own honey (each one worth about £1000 given the investment!)"

Hehehe!

I've also done a spreadsheet covering things like Capital Expenditure, Fixed Costs and Variable Costs, to try and project what a fair price would be for our honey, when we eventually more than a few jars. According to my calculations, we should Break Even some time between Year 5 and Year 10 of Beekeeping :D This beekeeping lark is definitely not a Get Rich Quick scheme :D

Have three colonies awaiting hatching/mating all adjacent, all happy bit like yours John. Took the sickle and loppers to tidying up thistle/nettle/blackberries/willow growing too close to the hives yesterday and only a few inspections from one or two guard bees. Did keep the suit on though.

Ouch, admin :(.
These two are the result of an a/s, alas I had to dispatch the old Queen as two sealed Queen cells were evident a week after the split, even though they were on foundation only apart from the frame the Queen was on. They swarmed the day after the split, leaving not even a queen cup. I returned them over a Queen excluder , they tried to swarm for the following three days !! having to return because the Queen was confined . Still she was + three years old but never ceased laying well . Sometimes these things happen ,it's called bee keeping :nopity:.
Bee suits are too warm to be wearing when using my 20" grass basher ,I do however wear a coolie type hat and veil !!

John Wilkinson

Hmm...I just think "jungle" and "shower" and am grateful for microfibre beesuit. They were more persistent today but still affable. Only another half acre or so of thickets to go (might wait for a wet day for a change then I can fight the gnats instead :)).

Latest posts

Back