5 Frame Hives?!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'baby' super frame on these has about the same area as a BS deep (so just a super is the size of a large nuc here).....two five frame standards in the brood box is therefore a big brood box (getting on for 25% larger than a National on BS deep, sort of brood and half). They have lot's of following, see the Paradise range also. 8 framers are also popular. I will be running some like this next year to try. They have their place.

Last edited:
Hmm, don't we call that a nuc over here.
However, half a hive, surely half the price, half the number of frames, but then half the honey....?

Reduce, re-use and recycle -

Cut an old national Brood Box in half on the table saw and then screw new sides on to produce the bodies of two 6 frame nuc boxes. You should even have room for some sort of dummy board...

I made a couple of these last year and will be making some more over the winter. My thinking is that i can tier/super these nucs as RAB mentions - this will give me a bit more flexibility over the management of the colony e.g. let me get a Nuc onto 12 frames before they go into a full BB or just to give extra space and stores to over winter the colony.

That hive makes no sense. It has no space to nurse bees. They surely swarm and escape.

5-frame boxes are good in wintering nucs and making nucs, inhabit small swarms and so on.
It is for temporary use.

You may do easily 4-frame boxxes when you split normal polynuc. The price is fair. 150 dollars is huge.

Bye a table saw 100 Br pounds and 2 polyboxes. Box price is about 20 pounds a piece.
In Finland box price is about 12 pounds.

Then make covers and bottoms from recycling materials. Good free materials are everywhere.
You may make frames too with the saw.

2 normal size boxes is so small space that you may winter one colony there or inhabit a new swarm. I have just now several 4-frame nucs. Their origin is mating nuc and I want to keep them over winter for queens. They are too small to build up in time that they can forage a real yield next summr.

Well looking through the other stuff for sale you find this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-REARING-TRAINING-DVD-MANUAL-Beekeeping-/160454040948

Terry Hester. Or Terry Hester ole boy as he calls himself who is part of the H & L apparently.

graphtE.jpg

I wonder if Pete wears a hoody and a baseball cap.

I've got a 5 frame nuc and as it was so full of bees and forage was coming in, it has a 5 frame nuc over - so 10 frames in total. The bees can move up as they wish over winter.

Also got a double 8 frame hive (8 over 8) which I would suggest is the smallest size worth having. It's wide enough to be stable when supers go on top and big enough for the queen to lay in.

Latest posts

Back