1st swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you for the info, they only have 2 frames to draw out in the brood box , rest is all drawn frame , the super is partially drawn too , I've put a feeder on top of that with 1/1 syrup.It was a decent size swarm ,the photo at start of thread only showed half of what was there ,the other half was already inside the box. I'm going to keep these on brood and a half and see how they do over winter ,well that's the plan unless you guys have other ideas ?always welcome the experience.

I missed out your quote but have just been back to correct that
Ah makes sense now , cheers , yep will experiment with running an unlimited brood nest come spring , I believe finman does something similar, slipping the queen excluder in around July, or at least I'm sure he mentioned it somewhere!

No. They just need more active management and definitely a lot of space. Ask B+ how much space he gives his bees
Of course, there's likely to be a substantial difference between b+'s bees and some of the Slovenian lines (the ones we're most likely to meet in the countryside) which have been dumped on the UK market...

Edit: and no, I'm not anti import which is how I know how 'good' some of these Slovenian bees are.. Non swarmy doesn't really describe them to be honest.

Last edited:
Bloody hell , misses says there are light coloured bees at the same swarm trap having a good time, here's hoping !

Back