moving a hived swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenJ

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
meant to be 5!
Hi all, I hope you can suggest whether I can move a hived swarm (my bees) across the apiary in one go, or whether I need to stick to the 3 foot rule. They were dropped straight into the brood box with frames of foundation and left for the rest of the swarm to find its way in - it has and bees have been going in and out quite happily all afternoon. I placed a QE under the brood box to stop the Queen leaving. I'm looking to moving the hive about 20 yards, which will put it the other side of my other two hives. Is it now, 7 hours later, too late to move it in one go?

You should be fine, I would leave it until all the flying bees are back and move in the evening, face the entrance a different way to the way it is at the moment!
E

You should be fine, I would leave it until all the flying bees are back and move in the evening, face the entrance a different way to the way it is at the moment!
E
Thanks! they are still flying at the moment so I'll leave it for a while. As it happens, the entrance will be 180 deg to how it's sitting at the moment, so that's a help.
:thanks:

hive now moved - last bees came home at 9:45 pm -they're keen - stuffed entrance with grass and moved them to final position - will check they get out tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

All went fine. A few bees floating about in the old spot but all found a home by evening and activity is as it should be now. Happy days!

Back