Loading queen introduction cages

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sutty

From Glossop, North Derbyshire, UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 to 12!
Did this for the 2nd time recently, Q went in first, then 1 attendant at a time, trying not to let Q out, got stung by a couple of attendants so likely to die. Had the rigmarole of putting one in whilst letting 2 out!
Anyone got any tips?

I keep a thumb over entrance when picking up another bee..
Load Q first.
Never been stung doing that (lots of other times tho!)

Holding the cage upright so that the opening is at the bottom helps, the queen and workers tend to walk upwards away from the door; as madasafish said, thumb over the door between loading individual bees.

Holding the cage upright so that the opening is at the bottom helps, the queen and workers tend to walk upwards away from the door; as madasafish said, thumb over the door between loading individual bees.
Upwards, that's a good point, thank you!

I think I'm not always getting hold of both wings. Did it in my kitchen picking the workers off the windows.
Always approach wings from the rear..I find it easier.

quick spray of water on the workers will slow them down for a while
But you should as an expert like @Michael Palmer
Practice makes perfect. My help brings me the comb with the new queen.
I catch, mark, cage, and add attendants. One thing...it's easier to pick up attendants
from a flat surface...such as a comb of bees flat down. Or...I dump bees from mating nuc combs
onto my table. The bees wings are always in position for easy pick up.

https://www.frenchhillapiaries.com/videos/2019/1/18/queen-marking

Latest posts

Back