Silvercrest jam maker damage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnabill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Thought I'd tidy up the garage and managed to do just that until the final move. I lifted the Silvercrest jam maker / honey warmer to put it on a shelf and in doing so whacked the tap / pourer, which of course snapped, making it useless. It's a pretty vulnerable part and it has, possibly, happened to someone else? The jam maker seems to be quite a rare item these days and I wonder if anyone has managed to source a tap that fits.

Hoping for a solution.

Thought I'd tidy up the garage and managed to do just that until the final move. I lifted the Silvercrest jam maker / honey warmer to put it on a shelf and in doing so whacked the tap / pourer, which of course snapped, making it useless. It's a pretty vulnerable part and it has, possibly, happened to someone else? The jam maker seems to be quite a rare item these days and I wonder if anyone has managed to source a tap that fits.

Hoping for a solution.
I've just measured mine and it's as near as you can get to 3/4" - I reckon one like this would do it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175815511746?itmmeta=01HWTRQGZR988FZX053V6YY4SE&hash=item28ef6bcec2:g:Bl4AAOSw9qBi4jkx&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0NgYfin12NHGe2lml/sohh6WKCiNtJSHXrVcN0vgDCareuq11205VtbNd1bgE0c/kfQMf2bXlwr6cABqJhOneUXktdQjKx1zRTe2U9hUvOokgrsB7MiIbg8RR07SRJXuFI9O74/MZmCtSG9VXwFTJfs+d6J3r4VQQ62VjvuEa53CPGK7spLX1mmnq6K1w3AV+q03M0g7UHS1Sh3Qua8ni+jvM/ZYA+Mcfv6XeC5l5TxJkG0PpNCpaX5q7hDkgKAa4MzgDIjS8CkeUykH5lAiis0=|tkp:Bk9SR6iQ3tjmYw

You might have to ease the hole a bit if it's too tight but these taps come with two rubber washers and a nut to tighten up so .. should work OK with a bit of fiddling/fettling. The original taps are not a lot to write home about and I've been thinking about changing mie for something better ... let me know if/what fits as I'll probably order some of they do the job... let's face it - they only hold the warm water in the urn so they don't need anything special.

Actually ... this one is 18mm ... might be a direct replacement ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40484919...lp:4429486&itmmeta=01HWTSX84A6CJZ9GZ6Z64F8QA7

Last edited:
I am always looking for the jam makers to be in Lidl or Aldi
Mine shows power but doesn't heat I will have to take it apart

I use mine for warming honey in 30lb tubs with an InkBird thermostat as the main control is broken and it's on at full all the time. I put the bucket in on top of the grid (personal experience taught me that the grid is essential as even with water jacket the element will melt a small hole in the bucket) then fill the jam maker with water to just below the lid of the honey bucket. I also use it for making syrup as 10L water and 16kg of sugar fits perfectly and takes minutes to make. I drain it into a large black plastic carrying can and add any thymol to that for winter feed. Don't think it's ever been used for jam.

I am always looking for the jam makers to be in Lidl or Aldi
Mine shows power but doesn't heat I will have to take it apart
this happened to mine

easy fix i reckon

take the bottom off and the connection (red wire) from the heating terminal will have dropped off when knocked

worth gently clamping it back on to withstand minor knocks in future

I've just measured mine and it's as near as you can get to 3/4" - I reckon one like this would do it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175815511746?itmmeta=01HWTRQGZR988FZX053V6YY4SE&hash=item28ef6bcec2:g:Bl4AAOSw9qBi4jkx&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0NgYfin12NHGe2lml/sohh6WKCiNtJSHXrVcN0vgDCareuq11205VtbNd1bgE0c/kfQMf2bXlwr6cABqJhOneUXktdQjKx1zRTe2U9hUvOokgrsB7MiIbg8RR07SRJXuFI9O74/MZmCtSG9VXwFTJfs+d6J3r4VQQ62VjvuEa53CPGK7spLX1mmnq6K1w3AV+q03M0g7UHS1Sh3Qua8ni+jvM/ZYA+Mcfv6XeC5l5TxJkG0PpNCpaX5q7hDkgKAa4MzgDIjS8CkeUykH5lAiis0=|tkp:Bk9SR6iQ3tjmYw

You might have to ease the hole a bit if it's too tight but these taps come with two rubber washers and a nut to tighten up so .. should work OK with a bit of fiddling/fettling. The original taps are not a lot to write home about and I've been thinking about changing mie for something better ... let me know if/what fits as I'll probably order some of they do the job... let's face it - they only hold the warm water in the urn so they don't need anything special.

Actually ... this one is 18mm ... might be a direct replacement ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40484919...lp:4429486&itmmeta=01HWTSX84A6CJZ9GZ6Z64F8QA7
[/QUO

Thanks Pargyle and everyone else, I'm now back to talking to myself after the catastrophe. I’ll report back as to the fit for the ebay one as it may help someone in the future. Once again, thanks all, I didn't think the likelihood of finding a jam maker graveyard for parts was very likely.

Attachments

• 20240430_165053.jpg
    20240430_165053.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240430_165059.jpg
    20240430_165059.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240430_165041.jpg
    20240430_165041.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 0
. Don't think it's ever been used for jam.
It is totally useless for making jam in the UK sense of the word as it will not heat the jam sufficiently - as Dani says .. the 'Jam' making is a USA process where the fruit is jarred up and then the jars are put in the hot water bath and heated up. People buy them thinking they can be used for traditional jam making and then realise they won't work .. they then come up on Ebay and Gumtree. They are much prized by the Home brewing fraternity as they are idea for boiling up the mash so there is always a ready market for them.

They are great bits of kit - they take either a round or square 30 lb bucket or loads of jars and a set bucket with the water temperature set at about 40 degrees will melt overnight - at this water bath temperature the honey temperature in the bucket never gets above 34 degrees. Jars don't need that water bath temperature - I set it at 34 degrees (I've only done jars in it once as I tend to jar as I go so don't often get set jars),

The last time I saw the for sale in Lidl they were £59.99 - but that was in 2021 - I don't think they have had them since then. They are very popular but there's always chancers who think they are worth more than they are ... the last two sold on ebay for £40 and £51 both in April this year. I see them regularly (nearly always newish) for between £30 and £50 but they go very quickly when they are priced right.

If anyone is sending their Silvercrest 'jam maker' to the graveyard, I'd be in the market to purchase the plastic tap.

Might give it a go (Komparness) but will wait for the Chinese Ebay job to arrive first. Either way I'll review for info'.

Due to this thread I searched Facebook marketplace and got a sivercrest brand new in unopened box for £15 ,Was in Reading ,and got my son to pick it up today .
There are bargains out there ,one selling for £100 on e Bay.
Cheers everyone
John

Back