Insulation..........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete D

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
50+. Double Std National & 14x12
One for Derek

Local to me a tree was cut down and when being cut for logs this was found.
Rehoused and doing well.

Attachments

• Tree nest.jpg
    Tree nest.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 235
  • Tree nest 2.jpg
    Tree nest 2.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 181
that's the first time I've seen someone use a chainsaw to cut comb :rolleyes:

Obviously a nice sharp chainsaw, but an unusual way to fell a tree, cutting at an angle without cutting a wedge first, or is it a slice from an already felled tree?

A fellow beekeeper did the work and took the photos, I will speak with her tonight and see if she has anymore she can send me and if she is happy for you to use them, don't see it being a problem as they have reached facebook and no doubt been shared beyond.

A fellow beekeeper did the work and took the photos, I will speak with her tonight and see if she has anymore she can send me and if she is happy for you to use them, don't see it being a problem as they have reached facebook and no doubt been shared beyond.

The really smashing thing is to see a conventional hive and a tree nest in the same shot..
and the dimensions so close to the average in T Seeley's survey...

Last edited:
The main question for me is what happened when the chainsaw started going through the nest? Did the operator get met with a few angry bees?

Brilliant pics Pete.

Do you have any idea of the orientation of the comb to the entrance?

Hi Derek, these are all I have, pm me your e mail again and I will send them through.
Not sure which way the entrance was.
I am told quite a few bees come out but not too much of a inconvenience, just rang the local beekeeper to come and get them out.

Attachments

• IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 92
  • untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0996.JPG
    IMG_0996.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 106
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Hi Derek,
here's the deal, just checked and the tree is still in situ minus the bees, you could have a slice, take measurements, photos etc etc
In return we need a speaker at our AGM next February, Saturday afternoon for an hour or so, travel expenses can be paid. Kings Lynn area.

:sunning:

The main question for me is what happened when the chainsaw started going through the nest? Did the operator get met with a few angry bees?

How do you know it was a chainsaw cut this!

What was it then ? Oddjobs hat

I heard there was talk of re-introducing beavers to Norfolk :D

200-01-075.jpg

Reminds me of that story - Paddy looks in the job centre window and sees a notice - 'tree fellers wanted, top rates paid'
Paddy looks glum and says "bejesus I wish Seamus and Mick were here"

Hi Derek,
here's the deal, just checked and the tree is still in situ minus the bees, you could have a slice, take measurements, photos etc etc
In return we need a speaker at our AGM next February, Saturday afternoon for an hour or so, travel expenses can be paid. Kings Lynn area.

:sunning:

Many thanks for arranging this, I've got my measurements and some more pics now.
So I'm on next Feb then :)

Thanks Derek maybe our tree nest will feature in your talk.
Hope it was a worthwhile trip

Latest posts

Back