bridge comb and supers (sticky situation)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beecology

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
As per the title, could really do with emptying a few supers and sticking back on again (good flow on at present) but on inspecting today have found the bees have built comb from the top supers into the ones below (all capped and full of honey).

Any suggestions? I could put a clearer board beneath them all but bit of a pain to lift all together.

Atleast there will be a few jars of honey after a poor start

As per the title, could really do with emptying a few supers and sticking back on again (good flow on at present) but on inspecting today have found the bees have built comb from the top supers into the ones below (all capped and full of honey).

Any suggestions? I could put a clearer board beneath them all but bit of a pain to lift all together.

Why not twist them before lifting to break the comb, you can then scrape these off & treat as cappings or put the bits in a bag & spin the honey out when you extract? Just my suggestion :)

Why not twist them before lifting to break the comb, you can then scrape these off & treat as cappings or put the bits in a bag & spin the honey out when you extract? Just my suggestion :)

:yeahthat:

in future, put the supers back on, turning each box 45 degrees to the one below, don't need doing with al hives, I have one that does it, alternating the frame direction seems to stop them

:yeahthat:

in future, put the supers back on, turning each box 45 degrees to the one below, don't need doing with al hives, I have one that does it, alternating the frame direction seems to stop them

You do mean "90 degrees" - warm way, cold way, warm way, ...

You do mean "90 degrees" - warm way, cold way, warm way, ...

agreed, but the bees will get confused because the front door is now on the corner. :rolleyes:

so, to sum that up, your now agreeing it's 45 degrees not your suggested 90 degrees, but where are you going with the front door ??????

the entrance is still in the same place, as is the brood box, it's only the 2nd super that's turned, and a 4th if there

backtrack again maybe?

in future, put the supers back on, turning each box 45 degrees to the one below,

Someone has funny ideas as to simple beekeeping. Boxes don't really align with each other unless at 90 degrees for the National format. Even less so with other formats where 180 degrees is the only option!

in future, put the supers back on, turning each box 45 degrees to the one below,

Someone has funny ideas as to simple beekeeping. Boxes don't really align with each other unless at 90 degrees for the National format. Even less so with other formats where 180 degrees is the only option!

:iagree:
Unless you want multiple entrances ;)

They can end up doing this on a good flow if they are running low on space. Best to just crack on and remove the ones you want, there will be spillage but they'll sort that out. Have you got a spare super to give them below the clearer?

perhaps the 45 degree poster has an octagonal hive?

There may be a simpler explanation for this crazy idea?

so, to sum that up, your now agreeing it's 45 degrees not your suggested 90 degrees, but where are you going with the front door ??????

the entrance is still in the same place, as is the brood box, it's only the 2nd super that's turned, and a 4th if there

backtrack again maybe?

Geometry not your strong point obviously

perhaps the 45 degree poster has an octagonal hive?

There may be a simpler explanation for this crazy idea?

Geometry not your strong point obviously

you lot really do make me laugh, someone offers a simple idea and you try turning it into something that it's not, and slating the poster for.

https://youtu.be/Jw5UTTo_iUM

at 4;50 you'll see a rose osb turned 45 degrees to the one below, a week earlier it was stuck together with brace comb, not so now after having more frames drawn out

nothing to do with octagonal hives or poor geometry

Why are you all ridiculing the guy? Ok so he is wrong, stop acting like a pack of wolves every time someone gets something wrong, its always the same old faces jumping on the band wagon. Stop picking on people & grow up!

20.htm94.gif

Putting boxes on at 45° would make quite a pretty arrangement, but you may find that you'd end up with gaps/multiple entrances for the bees!

Why are you all ridiculing the guy? Ok so he is wrong, stop acting like a pack of wolves every time someone gets something wrong, its always the same old faces jumping on the band wagon. Stop picking on people & grow up!

I think because he's taking a leaf out of your book JBG .. Can't admit when what he is saying is b...ll..x ...

Latest posts

Back