what started out as

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladaok

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As a ventilation hole above the landing board, 22 mm in diameter, and just below the lid rim. Is now being use as a major traffic way. It seems the occupants prefer this route ? It's staggering the though put, and how organised they are at entry and exit. The landing board is still in use, and the upper hole can be manipulated with a revolving disc grid. I'm now thinking of increasing the hole diameter to 25 mm, and one / two holes on both ends, and constricting the landing board to ventilation only ???

You'll have to keep in mind that our temps down here are quite different to you

Last edited:
I'm having the same thing with two of my colonies, making me wonder if they know better. Hopefully LJ can shed some light on the issue with his idea?

AH HAHA, all I can say is great minds think alike. I'm of the opinion that I should always enquire first, before doing any research. Saves heaps of time

All I can add to the previous thread, is, I thought of these ideas for 1) vegetation growth blocking landing board, 2) a large lower entrance slot that is hard for bees to defend 3) Poor rates of maturing nectar in possibly high humidity in the upper supers

At the moment, if you looked down on my floor in plan view. I have an entrance at the front and rear, but on opposite corners. This gives a good summer flow through of air. Also I can use a special divider frame, to split the hive in two. This gives me instant nukes. Come late Autumn, I can shut the lower landing board slots to 2 bee width and close the round upper brood box holes with the rotating disc to vary the air flow top < > bottom.

Anything to make the hive more efficient, I guess i'll have to try it.

Latest posts

Back