Vent mesh

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evdama

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have some very nice flat galvanised perforated sheet which would be great for ventilation but I think at 4mm aperture its too big
Anyone know whats the maximum size?

So by that rational it could be used as a filter- Hitler-esque ethnic cleansing......

I don't have vents, I block them off. Tried using 5mm on a home made travel screen. Lasted twenty miles and then the car filled with bees!!!!!!!! One through, all through!
E

I have some very nice flat galvanised perforated sheet which would be great for ventilation but I think at 4mm aperture its too big

The best aperture is approximately 0x0 - absolutely no need for vents in a beehive. Not needed in Africa, certaily superfluous in this country

evdama

You'll find on this Forum (from my observations) that the Official Beekeeping (BBKA) Orthodoxy is not generally followed in some cases, Top Ventilation is a very good example, many here will ridicule the idea, there are numerous reasons if you want us to go into them we can :)

I don't use Top Ventilation either, I came to that conclusion after reading some research papers, especially Tom Seeley's and Derek Mitchell's... bottom line it creates a draft = cold(er) bees, and reduces humidity which is needed in the Brood area - condensation is not an issue if you place better insulation above the Crown Board than exists on the walls, an 1" (at least) of Kingspan (or equivalent) does the job.

Top ventilation ( in the roofs) is only required for ventilating the roof space - so that any otherwise trapped moisture can be vented, thereby avoiding damp, mould and rotten wood.

I found out, years ago, that the roof vents got propolised, before I realised that the colonies did not want ventilation in the crownboard! Solid crownboards only, for the last 15 years, or so.

Try putting an OMF over the colony in summer (or even a cloth). The bees will propolise the lot, given time.

If the bees have access to the vent mesh, they will propolise it !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back