Tom Seeley lecture at Lincoln

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
None of my own
For those that cannot get to the NHS to hear Prof Seeley, or just cant get enough of him ...

Lincolnshire Beekeepers' Association
(Reg Charity No. 500360)

Autumn Lecture

Prof Tom Seeley from Cornell University

'The Bee Hive as a Honey Factory'

A review of his work on the bees' social organization for making honey.

Wed 2nd November at 7:30pm.
Conference Hall, Riseholme College Lincoln LN2 3RS

Tickets at £3 for LBKA Full, Partner or Country members
£4 for all others
available on the door, from Th**nes at Rand or from Mike Beecham
[Mikes tel and email removed for spam purposes, PM me for details]

Includes light refreshments
Grand raffle
Northern Bee Books

Tom Seeley's books, 'The Wisdom of the Hive' and 'HoneyBee Democracy' have received great acclaim. Don't miss this one!

This talk is very good. Heard it at Honey show. Well worth attending.

Tom Seeley will also be speaking at the Institute of Northern Ireland Beekeepers conference on 5th November as will Jamie Ellis - Google INIB/Institute of Northern Ireland beekeepers for details....

What they are whispering must be good - I've had phone calls from a fair number of people in GB to get details about attending the conference on Saturday!!

I went last night, was a good informative well rehearsed lecture.
Waggle dance, shake, beep and hmm can picture the 4th one but cant recall what he called it.
Didnt win the raffle but scoffed lots of biscuits !

Pete D

I went last night, was a good informative well rehearsed lecture.
Waggle dance, shake, beep and hmm can picture the 4th one but cant recall what he called it.
Didnt win the raffle but scoffed lots of biscuits !

Pete D

I was trying to remember the 4th - tremble? The "beep" was very amusing. For those not there its the action of a "trembler" - ie a bee who is trying to drum up further in-hive nectar processors - bumping into another who is waggling away with the intention of sending all available bees off gathering, in times of too many gatherers and not enough processors. There is a distinct "beep" that can be picked up by a microphone as the trembler bumps the waggler, who will finally get the message after about 10 bumps.

On another note, he mentioned that he sometimes leave scales under his hives to monitor the rise and fall of nectar within. Anyone tried this?

Tremble Dance

I was trying to remember the 4th - tremble? The "beep" was very amusing. For those not there its the action of a "trembler" - ie a bee who is trying to drum up further in-hive nectar processors - bumping into another who is waggling away with the intention of sending all available bees off gathering, in times of too many gatherers and not enough processors. There is a distinct "beep" that can be picked up by a microphone as the trembler bumps the waggler, who will finally get the message after about 10 bumps.

On another note, he mentioned that he sometimes leave scales under his hives to monitor the rise and fall of nectar within. Anyone tried this?

He quoted Karl von Frisch, the authority on the Waggle Dance as having been mystified by the Tremble Dance which he eventually dismissed after many years as of no significance.

In a private conversation afterwards he admitted that the significance of the Tremble Dance as a call for workers from within the hive to come to receive incoming supplies from the foragers was his own discovery.. Likewise, the Bleep, made by a receiving worker telling a forager to stop her Waggle Dance because the hive was not coping with receiving incoming forage.

All fascinating stuff presented in a very low key and accessible manner. In talking with him I found Tom Seeley to be an incredibly gentle and considerate person.

Latest posts

Back