To clip or not to clip

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOBY-3652

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi the queen in my hive isnt clipped. It was a swarm so age unknown? Ive got 2 nucs arriving next year.is it best 2 clip or not . What do other people do? And what are the for and against clipping queens

If you have nucs on order, usually the person selling them will clip them and mark them if you ask. Most people would charge you a small amount for this service, say £5, as they have to bear the risk and replace the queen if something goes wrong.

I say clipped is best. I don't think it is cruel. I think it means you are less likley to lose valuable bees and you are less likely to annoy any neighbours.

:iagree:Definitely clip - but make sure you do it really early so that she is easier to find; also as otherwise she goes and half the mob goes too!!!!

Your plain text message was received in the clear PH.

Have a super holiday.

I don't clip.

I've never lost a swarm (yet) but if I do lose the odd one, then good luck to them and I don't think it's bad for the gene pool.

I catch plenty of swarms every year anyway, so it more than evens out for me.

But then my views are different to most beeks.
I see myself as privileged as being able to look after the bees and in no way see them as my property. The honey is there by the bees own good grace and who am I to mutilate a creature in my custody.

I think most beeks who do clip do so because essentially £ is on their mind.

If you're a good beekeeper, then you should only lose a minimal amount of swarms anyway, depending upon how many colonies you have. And as I say, I have trouble keeping my numbers down!:coolgleamA:

And if she's a swarmy type....then good riddance anyway!!

Clip every two. So you know what you should do.
To many uncutting is like a religious happening.

I think that most do not find the queen and so clipping is impossible.

Last edited:
My queen is unclipped as I have never seen clipping done, and a live queen is better than a dead queen...If you have a support system or good stock of queens it may be different - but I can't take the risk...

Try catching, marking and clipping drones. Once you have the skill, then you can decide if you want to or not; confident that it's not because you lack confidence or are unable.

Mark a couple from a hive and then release them into the air and see where they turn up on your inspections.

Try catching, marking and clipping drones. Once you have the skill, then you can decide if you want to or not; confident that it's not because you lack confidence or are unable.

Mark a couple from a hive and then release them into the air and see where they turn up on your inspections.

I don't clip myself, but I'm newish anyway, and generally prefer to leave them alone, to do what they do naturally.

Last edited:
I always mark but never clip. Hopefully I can realise what she's up to before she goes. If not, it's my own fault and best of luck to her.
Got to say, being involved with a swarm, whether collecting or following is one of the things I love about beekeeping. A natural phenomenon in close-up!

Eb

Eb

Latest posts

Back