Split nucs from normal poly box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finman

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
It is easy to split poly box with table saw and make warm nucs.

With hand saw the result needs luck.

I do not remember, how long I have done those. I have made missing wall from styrofoam insulating board, but that soft wall makes more nuisance than advantage. Bees and ants shew the wall soon.

But it is not a big job to do a missing wall from a water proof thin ply and tree fibre insulating board, which ants cannot bite.

Make a mold, into where you can pile the hive parts, glue them and you get a missing wall in right dimensions.

The gloor us easy:
- Water proof laminated ply
- 3 wood sticks
- 3 cut nails in sticks that the box does not slide when you move the nuc

As a roof you need only a piece of Kingspan, but they are not long living. Perhaps 2 years. For long distance wood under insulation stands longer.

Before those individual small nucs I used 30 years multi chamber nucs, where normal box is devided into 3-4 cells with walls.

Those are really unpractical compared to small nucs. Polywalls are so warm that even a small nucs does not need next door neighbour to keep brood warm.

I move often the nucs with car to another yard when I found the nucs. Small ones are really easy to lift. Plus losses of virgins in multi chamber boxes.

Latest posts

Back