So far my bees have survived!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
I am sooo pleased. :cheers2:After weeks of cold and snow and rubbish weather I went to see my teeny tiny swarm and in the warm weather of today they were doing lots of tidying up. I am so chuffed. I took a peek a couple of weeks ago and i was convinced they were all dead because i could see no sign of life.

I know there could be more cold to come and also plenty of rain but to make it this far has impressed me.:hurray:

They had no stores going into winter because they were a late swarm so they have done really well.:D

I cant be too bad a beekeeper surely?:eek:

One question, do I still treat with oxalic acid considering their small size. I reckon there must be so few of them that HM knows everyone by name!

Its your call,if it were my small colony I would leave them.

I agree with Admin. If they really are so small leave them. Just make sure they have enough fondant if they are lacking stores. Worry about the varroa threat once they are under way in the Spring.
Good luck with them!
Peter

I agree with Admin. If they really are so small leave them. Just make sure they have enough fondant if they are lacking stores. Worry about the varroa threat once they are under way in the Spring.
Good luck with them!
Peter
:iagree:

Nice one tkwinston, I was worried about mine too, looked in yesterday to do the OA and I have 3 nice clusters.

Good news. Make sure you keep feeding them with fondant as we go into the "starvation seaon".

Ben P

Ben, indeed, we agree, hoping for a warm ish day over the weekend just to add in some more munchies (no we shouldnt need to but the weather goes from -7 to plus 12 the bees will be active then hungry as they need to feeed to keep warm) Continiously cold or warm is ok its the swings from one extreme to another that cause problems.
Hope you have cheered up a bit too and some of the advice helped, even from old gits like me.

i have two hives that i thought had died it was a great relief to see them flying around. It makes you wonder how they survive -15c which it was here on xmas night.

It makes you wonder how they survive -15c

This is only a short period in the beginning of the winter. Ask Finman how his hives survive -30 Celsius, for much longer periods.

Regards, RAB

I haven't seen mine flying in ages, as I placed a board in front of the hive as recommended to prevent them coming out in the snow. And as I moved it about 12 feet this week, I put it back so there would be an obstruction for when they did make it out.

Still, in the warm days last week, there was a degree of housekeeping (dead bees) and a couple of young bees that must have come out for an orientaiton flight, landed on the metal roof and chilled.

Latest posts

Back