slow coloney

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jallen

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi all there in there secound year and havent expanded from there original five frames plenty of sealed brood few stores thou thay have insolation and an open mesh floor eney idear please

p.s sorry if theres eney bad spelling dyslexic:banghead:

The most likely explanation would be disease of some sort...does the brood look healthy? Possibly chalk brood/bald brood, nosema? Any stubby wings on the bees? What about varroa mites?

Lots of questions for you to ask yourself. If none of the above, then consider requeening.

Good luck.

I would have someone whom knows about bees to have a look as you would need an experienced eye to guide as to what could be wrong. They should be able to explain how to fix.

Busy Bee

I agree with both posters but also think about where they are. If they have 5 frames of brood (what size frames...14*12?) then she's laying ok but may just have been a late starter. I have a colony (currently my strongest) on 6 frames of brood and she just started late due to poor forage and a location that was in shade too long into the day. They are in no danger and are building nicely.

Have you good forage near by? Have you tried to give them a boost with some sugar syrup?

All the best,
Sam

I would say it's either a poor or old queen,or nosema ceranae.

Latest posts

Back