Skinny Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CabrachCaveman

New Bee
Reaction score
Has anyone had this before? I opened a hive last week, and found drone brood all through a super (I use drone foundation in my supers). Went through the hive, and found the queen down in the brood box. So thought maybe s laying worker in the super. Shook all the bees in the super off about 50 foot away from the hive, closed up and left.
Today, went in, even more eggs and drone brood in the super. And lo and behold, the marked queen in there as well. So I caught her, thinking maybe she had climbed out as I put the excluder on last week, then back into the super as I put it on.
Put the catcher with her on the side, and went through the brood box. Turned to put her back in, just as she squeezed out of the catcher.😱😱😱

Now I know, she is a skinny assed queen who can squeeze through excluders. Do I just requeen?

Has anyone had this before? I opened a hive last week, and found drone brood all through a super (I use drone foundation in my supers). Went through the hive, and found the queen down in the brood box. So thought maybe s laying worker in the super. Shook all the bees in the super off about 50 foot away from the hive, closed up and left.
Today, went in, even more eggs and drone brood in the super. And lo and behold, the marked queen in there as well. So I caught her, thinking maybe she had climbed out as I put the excluder on last week, then back into the super as I put it on.
Put the catcher with her on the side, and went through the brood box. Turned to put her back in, just as she squeezed out of the catcher.😱😱😱

Now I know, she is a skinny assed queen who can squeeze through excluders. Do I just requeen?
If you have a full capped super you could put that immediately above the brood box in the expectation she won't cross a load of capped honey.

Latest posts

Back