Size of entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I have had a look around the forum regarding the size of entrance on a hive and for the most part 9 or 10 cm seems to be acceptable all year round. I had a full width entrance all summer only to close down to 9cm for the winter. While I didn't see any problem with a full entrance is it better to be safe than sorry in this matter? How small an entrance can I use in the height of summer without compromising the bees ability to get in an out easily?

I use home made under floor entrance of 8mm by 150mm ish bees seem happy enough with this.

From Tom Sealey's books he determined that the optimum entrance size for a bait hive was approx 10-12 square centimetres (just as wightbees says) so one assumes they would be happy with that all year round?

My poly hives have their entrance 8mm open all year round. No issues.

PH

I look the bees' need of entrance size from number of ventilating bees. Other beekeepers may use their dimensions. I do not mind.

Centimetres is a linear measurement. Area is important, as well as height. Do you fit mouseguards? 8cm at 8mm high might not be sufficient for a large and extremely busy colony, particularly when the weather is very hot if the hive is exposed to the full Sun.

Observation by the beekeeper is the key. Watch and decide for yourself. At this time of the year it may come down to whether the entrance could be blocked by dead bees (or whether entry of mice needs to be addressed).

So, Finman is spot on. A fixed idea is not usually a good one.

I use OMF. In summer I have the entrance fully open, bee traffic seems to justify this. Over winter I pin a round hole mouse excluder over this . In spring and autumn I use a standard entrance block, inserting foam to narrow it down if robbing becomes a problem.
Cannot pin mouse excluder over the entrance to my few poly hives, so on these I use an entrance block with pins hammered in every 9 MM. across the opening in the block. Just what I do. Seems to make sense to me.

Latest posts

Back